Retroarch for arcade cabinets

Hi all. I have only today discovered RetroArch, and it looks interesting. I am particularly interested in the emulation of handhelds (GB, GBA, etc), as I have an arcade cabinet running mame, etc, and also the older emulators for the described handhelds. When you blow up these on a 32" screen, it looks less than ideal, but running them at original resolution (the telly is being fed from a PC running ay 800*600 native), looks quite pitiful.

I like the look of the (for example) original Gameboy with overlay, border etc, especially if it is set to double size or similar. not too small, not too big. ’ Having (as I say) just discovered retroarch, and then watching a 20 minute video on how to configure it, it does seem quite ‘young’, and not very’ developed re config files (IE pre configured cores, complete with relative paths to roms, etc.) EG, Gameboy, set up to run with overlay (and emu screen scaled to fit), for XXX by XXX resolution full screen.

Has anyone started creating setups that are, essentially, drop into place, and run friendly.

While I currently enjoy playing the arcade games on my cab, I would like to revisit the GG, GBA, etc also, but the look is just not right on a screen of that size.

Any feedback on what has already been done, and other people experiences with using an arcade cab at an all in one emulation station would be interesting. Kind regards, Arthur.

1 Like

I have an arcade cabinet running RetroArch and it works great. You pretty much need to set up your configs to match your specific environment/usecase, but you can do all of that through the in-game menu.

What are you using for hardware? I use a linux PC hooked up to my JAMMA harness via J-PAC.

1 Like