Retroarch GUI (green screen) won't rebind a specific button

So I have been building a retropie (pi 3) arcade using a vanilla image and adding my own games to it. I added SF3 to finalburn alpha and went into retroarch to re-arrange the action buttons, but one of the buttons on the face (button 3 if it matters) will simply not accept any new binds. The bind window pops up and the screen takes the new bind for a split second but then switches back to the Auto-default bind of 3. If I press button 3 for the bind then it will take the auto away and manually bind it to 3, but otherwise it will simply revert back to Auto(joy button 3). It only does it with this specific joy button. Any idea whats causing this? The controller is a wired Xbox 360 controller. I also tried it with a Logitech F310 with the exact same results. Went into emulation stations controller setup each time and completely wiped the controller config to set it up from scratch both times. With the logitech I even skipped setting up the keyboard, just in case that was adding a weird conflicting bind.

The image used was floobs, with attract mode. All emulators have been updated as well as the kernel.

Have you tried using the ‘controls’ remapping menu from the quick menu rather than the input binding from settings > input? The ideal way to do it is to map the retropad buttons to your physical buttons in settings > input and then move the cores’ buttons around on the retropad via quick menu > controls.

This worked out great. I wish it was a push button setup but at least by calling the buttons exactly what they are on the game pad made it easy to remap. It also didnt have the side effect of remapping menu controls. Btw if I save the controller map as a core config, is it just going to be for all final burn alpha games or does it apply to all games?

quick question, id like to move to the updated cores but dont wanna lose all my binds, what to i need to copy over to keep the same controls when going to the new image im building for the raspberry pi