Retroarch in KMS mode from login manager?

Hi,

I’m trying to launch Retroarch from SDDM, I created a retroarch-session.desktop file /usr/share/xsessions/, but unfortunately it launches Retroarch in X11 mode. Is there a way to force launching Retroarch in KMS mode from SDDM ?

If you’re launching from an X session, it’s going to be in X11 mode. You would have to launch from a console with no window manager running.

However, IIRC, the results from Wayland are quite good, too. Almost as good as KMS.

Yes, In don’t think it’s possible to launch a non-X11 (or Wayland) session from SDDM. :confused:

The idea was to be able to launch RetroArch in KMS without having to use a keyboard (the machine is an Asus PN50 Ryzen mini-PC plugged into the TV).

Can you make a launch script that kills the window manager and then fires the retroarch command?

I’ll look into it, thanks !

1 Like

Hi @Tromzy, are you planning on using this machine only for Retroarch? If this is the case you can use Lakka (easiest solution) or alternatively use systemd on your distro to start Retroarch on boot.

No, it will mainly be a Kodi machine, I stream movies from my main computer to this machine and I play them with Kodi. I used to use a special build of Libreelec which could launch RA and EmulationStation from Kodi (in KMS mode :stuck_out_tongue: ), but it stopped being updated.