RetroArch Input System

Hey guys, I’ve been messing with RetroArch on my PC a lot in anticipation of making a retro gaming box or maybe just off a Raspberry Pi and I’ve come across a few issues with the input system. It may be worth mentioning that I’m using a Windows 7 64bit system at the moment.

Firstly, the number of devices that you can scroll through in the “User x device index” is limited to the number set for “Max Users”, and it will only scroll through the first n devices (ordered by Windows and not easily alterable to my knowledge) before displaying “disabled” . I have connected to my computer a 4-port Mayflash USB Gamecube controller adapter for emulating games on Dolphin. These 4 ports are always active as gamepads, regardless of whether or not a Gamecube controller is currently in the adapter, and occupy indexes 0-3. A Bluetooth-connected wiimote is also always active, regardless of whether or not it’s powered or connected, and it occupies index 4. Then, after this, I have all sorts of combinations of other controllers at any given time, including two xbox 360 pads, a DS4, and a USB SNES controller, which leads to another problem I’ll discuss. But the reason this is a problem for me is because I often use the SNES controller with RetroArch, which is usually among the last of the connected gamepads in Windows’ list, and so I must set the number of users to at least 6 or 7+ to even set up and configure the controller in the frontend. Not really a major issue, I just like to keep things organized, and allowing using any device regardless of the number of max users would be awesome.

The second and more important issue comes with my constant connecting and disconnecting of gamepads. Each time I do so, it alters the gamepad index, and so when I start RetroArch, if I had a different combination of other gamepads connected to my system than I had the last time I configured RetroArch, my USB gamepad will not work at all, because it’s index number no longer matches the index number in the configuration file. Is there a way or driver I can use to allow identifying devices by ID or name rather than by index number? Alternatively, does anyone know a way where I can set static index numbers for devices in Windows?

Thanks in advance for any help, and thanks for the awesome product. I was skeptical when I installed RetroArch not long ago, but now I can’t imagine not using it.