This is a port of RetroArch to iOS-based devices.
Cores currently supported:
- PCSX ReARMed
- Genesis Plus GX
- SNES9x Next
- VBA Next
- Mednafen PCE Fast
- Mednafen NGP
- Mednafen VB
- Mednafen Wonderswan
- NX Engine (Cave Story)
- FInal Burn Alpha
- MAME 2003 [0.78]
- Mupen64 Plus NEW !
Pre-announcement (initial version - 0.9.9):
OK guys, I am already pre-emptively announcing this for when the next big release hits -
It will be released on Cydia for free with absolutely no strings attached -same as with the Android port.
Most of the cores were easy to port over but one in particular took a pretty intensive rewrite - done by notaz - and that is PCSX ReARMed. he has spent nearly two days rewriting all the ASM so that it could be compiled with Apple’s ancient version of GAS - something that apparently no ‘emu porter for money’ was able to do before - and he deserves a lot of credit for the dedication he’s shown to give us something usable on RetroArch iOS.
As far as I know - this will be the first time PCSX ReARMed will be coming over to iOS (previously there was only PSx4All by Zodtd) and since there’s no ePSXe or FPSe there as well (the Apple Store not accepting emulators - payware or free - obviously makes this not worth their time since they only care about money) - it will be nice to offer something that is leagues ahead of the rest - and for free.
Here is a long screenshot gallery - I’ve played through quite a couple of games today with the PCSX ReARMed iOS port to make sure most of the games work.
Stay tuned for when the real release hits. As ever - we (err - me) made a slightly premature release date - but rest assured that things are moving fast so it won’t take much longer until I can properly bump up versions to 0.9.9.
Also - meancoot deserves mad props for putting a large substantial amount of work into this port - in fact, nearly 80% so far. Him making that initial iOS port is what drove me to buy myself an iPad as well - in time before Apple closed the jailbreak window of opportunity - so thanks for that, and credit will be paid where it is due.
I can guarantee so far that all of the cores (except for VBA Next) run at fullspeed on my iPad 2. So this is looking to be a slamdunk port - it is exactly what I wanted RetroArch Android to be in the first place.
Version 0.9.9.5 - August 15, 2013
- [SNES9x] Fixes by Alcaro to libretro port
- [SNES9x Next] Fixes savestates from not being able to be loaded.
- [Mednafen NGP] Fixes input issues in a number of games, such as:
- Card Fighters games
- [Picodrive] Updates/32X compatibility/accuracy improvements
- [NEStopia] Updated to 1.46 WIP - added ability to load NstDatabase.xml, fixes Vs. System games and Startropics 1/2
- [iOS] Only player 1 gets default keyboard bindings
- [iOS] Fixes PS3 gamepad bindings in RGUI
- [iOS] Fixes iCade button mappings
- [iOS] UI additions - Refresh / New Folder / Move options.
- [iOS] Some lifecycle management fixes - should deal better now with phone calls received and then returning back to RA, etc.
Version 0.9.9.3 - June 28, 2013
- [iOS] Fixed input issues -
- Rewrite of BTStack code
- Multiple gamepad support
- More reliable syncing/pairing
- Cleanup of L2CAP commands
- Stop Wiimote inquiry loops while game is running, fixes horrible lag
- [iOS] Add a ‘TV Mode’ option which forgoes the Cocoa file browser for RGUI. NOTE: You might have trouble launching PS1 games from this mode if they are the first ROM/ISO you load.
- [iOS] Shaders should work now. Note - for best results - set Scale to 1x per shader pass. Quite a few shaders are fullspeed from iPad 2 and up - your mileage may vary depending on the device.
- [GENERAL] Should fix GPU screenshots if last frame was duped
- [PCSX ReARMed] Add core option to switch between Dual Shock and regular gamepad modes
- [TyrQuake] Add core option so that you can change the internal screen resolution (note that TyrQuake uses the software renderer - it is slow - an OpenGL ES option will be added in the future for mobile devices and others)
- [TyrQuake] For RetroArch ports that support RETRO_KEYBOARD and RETRO_MOUSE - mouse/keyboard controls should work now
- [Genesis Plus GX] Updated to the latest version - 1.7.4 -
- fixed SRAM incompatibilities between BIG ENDIAN & LITTLE ENDIAN platforms for libretro (note: this breaks old .srm files with LITTLE ENDIAN platform ports - which includes iOS, Android, PC)
- A lot of compatibility/maintenance fixes by ekeeke (main author) - see this for more - https://github.com/libretro/Genesis-Plus-GX/commit/11d275e2f881d5eefac9d9473db3fc3d52f19c75
- [MAME 2003] ‘game might not run correctly. Press any key to continue’ games can be run now - such as Tekken 2
- [MAME 2003] Correct resolutions for Namco System 11 games
- [MAME 2003] Some minor optimizations (very slight though)
First version - 0.9.9
OK, here is the first version.
How to install
- Go to Cydia, go to ‘Sources’.
- Click on ‘Edit’.
- Click on ‘Add’.
- Add as a source ‘http://themaister.net/cydia’.
- After it is done with fetching the package listings, click on ‘Search’.
- Type in ‘RetroArch’.
- You will now find an icon of ‘RetroArch’ on your start screen.
- Shaders don’t work yet so don’t bother trying to get them to work right now. This will be looked at.
- Remember that your system directory is a hidden folder -
This folder is where you should store BIOS files for emulators, such as the PSX BIOS Files for PCSX ReARMed and the Sega CD BIOS files for Genesis Plus GX.
- If you want to use PS3 pads and/or Wiimote Classic pads on a jailbroken iOS device, you will first need to install BTStack. Note - you cannot use BTStack on non-jailbroken iOS - it’s only iCade support for you there.
You should read this before asking any questions about RetroArch iOS.