Retroarch is having many glitches for me

I downloaded the newest version. I tell it to scan folders that have games in them, it doesn’t get past “preparing to scan for content”. I tell it to download cores or update shaders, and it does nothing, except freeze the words “Download Cores” or whatever other words on my screen.

Also, to add insult to injury, it crashed a few minutes after I told it to do those tasks.

It does not work. I used to use it a year or two ago, an older version, that worked fine. The later versions just had more and more problems. Is it just me, or do emulators become more and more user unfriendly these days? (Look at what happened to MAME for instance)

For the downloads, it sounds like you’re not able to reach the server that holds all that stuff. I can reach it fine, so either it was down when you tried it or there’s a connectivity issue on your end.

Dunno about the scanning issue. We’d need a log to even guess what’s going on.

You’re welcome to keep using an older build, we just can’t/won’t provide support for it.

there seems to be little to go on with this rant, not even enough to know system specs or what log is showing.

Sorry. How do I provide a log?

My system specs are the following:

Windows 10 64-bit

Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.50 GHz

16 GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti

to get a log, shift+right-click somewhere in your RetroArch directory and choose 'open command window here…" and then type in:

retroarch_debug.exe --menu --verbose --log-file log.txt

and then do whatever you need to do to reproduce the offending behavior. When you exit (or it crashes or whatever) you should have a file named log.txt in your RetroArch directory. Copy its contents and paste them somewhere like pastebin and then post a log here.

I’m actually running it now, and at the moment, it actually is adding all the games, and not engagin-

never mind, it just crashed. Here’s the error log:

https://pastebin.com/9BusEr3W

[INFO] Could not read data from file ‘C:\Emu\tg16\CD\Ai Cho Aniki (J)\Track02.ISO’ at offset 8620096: No error

also you should try not to scan multiple systems at once. have you not organized them?

I do have them organized. I just wanted to be fast and get as many games in there as I can, rather than wait for one console to be finished before choosing another.

This time, I scanned folders one at a time. It scanned my NES folder just fine and added all the games. When it got to the Genesis folder, it crashed when scanning an ISO file.