RetroArch Japanese and Chinese translation

There’s a Japanese translation coming soon(pic.twitter.com/kiiYnull8S),does this means UTF-8 unicode is supported? Chinese translation is available in the future?

Please excuse my ignorance,I know this is not a android question,I realised it after I refreshed page,really sorry for that. I do not mean asking RA team to give us a Chinese translation,I want to know if retroarch supports Japanese means Chinese is supported too? Sorry for my English

Yes, full UTF-8 is now available. We have someone actively working on the Japanese translation and I think we have a Vietnamese translation in progress, as well. Would you be interested in working on the Chinese translation?

Thank you devs for adding unicode support,we are looking forward to this feature for long time.Yes,I’m very interested in working on the Chinese translation,and I have some Chinese friends who like retroarch are also willing to translate retroarch to Chinese,we love this amazing emulator. :smiley:

Ok, great :slight_smile:

If it would help, we can provide a .po file.

Sorry for the late reply,as we are in different time zones. Thanks,how to begin translation work with a .po file?

No problem :slight_smile:

I’m not actually familiar with them, myself, but the people doing the translations suggested they’re easier to work with than handling the source files directly. I think they just collect all of the terms together in a single file. I’ll try to get clarification.

OK,I am quite ready now,guide me please,thanks.

Ok, it sounds like the *.po thing isn’t quite ready yet but you can just work from this one file:

Sign up first and modify msg_hash_us.c file directly,right? If I want to translate this file to Chinese simplified,should I rename it to msg_hash_zh-cn.c?

If you’ve never used git/github before, the process goes like this: 1.) go sign up for an account 2.) go to the retroarch repo’s main page at https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch 3.) in the upper-right corner of the page, there’s a button labeled ‘Fork’. Click it to create a copy of the RetroArch repo under your account. 4.) in your copy, go into the ‘intl’ subdirectory and open that msg_hash_us.c file in a new browser window/tab. Then, just below where you found the ‘Fork’ button, you should see a button labeled ‘Create new file’. 5.) Click that button to create a new empty file and name it msg_hash_zh-cn.c and copy/paste all of the contents from msg_hash_us.c (which is open in your other browser window/tab for easy access) into it. 6.) make all of changes 7.) When you’re all done, save the file and give it an informative commit message (e.g., ‘add simplified chinese translation’) 8.) Look just below the repo’s name and you’ll see some tabs: <> Code, ! Issues, Pull Requests, etc. Click on the Pull Requests one and then click on the green button labeled ‘New Pull Request’. This will let you compare your changes with the main libretro repo and submit a patch that contains the differences.

Let me know if you have any problems with this process. Thanks so much for going through the trouble of doing the translation! Hopefully, this will open RetroArch up to more Chinese speakers who are less familiar with English :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=hunterk;49898]If you’ve never used git/github before, the process goes like this: 1.) go sign up for an account 2.) go to the retroarch repo’s main page at https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch 3.) in the upper-right corner of the page, there’s a button labeled ‘Fork’. Click it to create a copy of the RetroArch repo under your account. 4.) in your copy, go into the ‘intl’ subdirectory and open that msg_hash_us.c file in a new browser window/tab. Then, just below where you found the ‘Fork’ button, you should see a button labeled ‘Create new file’. 5.) Click that button to create a new empty file and name it msg_hash_zh-cn.c and copy/paste all of the contents from msg_hash_us.c (which is open in your other browser window/tab for easy access) into it. 6.) make all of changes 7.) When you’re all done, save the file and give it an informative commit message (e.g., ‘add simplified chinese translation’) 8.) Look just below the repo’s name and you’ll see some tabs: <> Code, ! Issues, Pull Requests, etc. Click on the Pull Requests one and then click on the green button labeled ‘New Pull Request’. This will let you compare your changes with the main libretro repo and submit a patch that contains the differences.

Let me know if you have any problems with this process. Thanks so much for going through the trouble of doing the translation! Hopefully, this will open RetroArch up to more Chinese speakers who are less familiar with English :)[/QUOTE] This is very helpful,thanks a lot! I’ll ask you when I get stuck.

Hi,hunterk,I meet a problem.

"Toggles between fast-forwarding and " “normal speed.”

Why this sentence uses two lines with the ’ '? Why it’s not “Toggles between fast-forwarding and normal speed.”? I see the Japanese translation translated this sentence to “普通のスピードから早送りまで切り替える。” use only one line,does this means all the single sentence that use two lines with the ’ ’ can be translated to the sentence that use one line?

Correct. It only uses two lines in the english translation because it wouldn’t fit on the screen in one line. That is, it would be running off the screen.

If you can fit it all on one line, go for it.

Thanks,I’ve got it.

I noticed someone called 9chu on github add a msg_hash_chs.c file to the retroarch repo a moment ago https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/blob/master/intl/msg_hash_chs.c, there are some sentences have been translated,it looks nice,so there is other people working on Chinese translation,this is where him/she pulled the request : https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/pull/3889 I found his/her translation is better than mine,so I think I have to quit now. Sorry and thanks for your time and patience,hunterk. But if 9chu does not have time to maintenance the translation,I think I can work on it agan.:),and I found his/her translation is incomplete,hope that he/she keep working on it.

No problem! Thanks so much for your effort on this, and if you find anything lacking on 9chu’s translation, feel free to submit improvements!

All right, so that’s that. :smiley:

Hi hohommx, we just got a simplified Chinese translation in yesterday, it has already been merged in, but feel free to improve on it if you like.

Thanks!

EDIT: Whoops, new to this forum thing. I replied at the bottom of the first page so I wasn’t aware you knew about the new translation already.

Thank you,9chu is a Chinese too,he replied me yesterday in our Chinese retroarch community called baidu-tieba http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4841703661, It seems like he is a pro in game translation,this is good to all our Chinese retroarch users.