Retroarch lag on Android

I just wanted to create this topic in case someone else has this issue. It was something I figured out by myself. It may help on your device also, it did massively on my.

It is important to turn off any overlay from Android. My phone has a program in the app drawer called Games. Retroarch got put there automaticly. That means when I run Retroarch I can use a overlay to show fps etc. Its also suppose to make the game run faster. However it caused massive slowdowns for Retroarch and when I removed Retroarch from it all stuttering was gone. So DONT use these Android overlays and game modes. They dont seem to help at all. At least not in Retroarch.

3 Likes

I have one Android that lags terribly and another that doesn’t with same gamepad. So probably some overlay I had installed on the other phone like dark mode etc.

Most likely, yes. Dissable every kind of overlay. When you start Retroarch there should be no mention of some game mode in the top bar. If it is, your phone uses some kind of game mode and that will probably just cause issues in Retroarch.