RetroArch Mupen64plus Issues/Questions

Hey everyone,

First post here. I wasn’t sure whether to make this thread in the Windows section, or Nintendo. Hopefully this is right.

I’ve searched through the forum looking for answers but I can’t seem to find any. I apologize if these questions have been asked before. I know that N64 emulation is problematic at best, but I’ve got a couple issues I’m hoping someone knows how to solve.

First, I’m trying to remap the controller inputs so that the right trigger, rather than left, is the Z button on the N64 controller. I can do this by changing the core remap options and saving a new file, but when I restart the emulator it doesn’t load the newly saved settings. I have to load the .RMP file manually. Currently, it saves the new .RMP file in the RetroArch configs folder. How do I make it so it loads the new configuration file by default?

Also, I’m trying to set up the core options so that the frame rate is set to original, rather than full speed. There is a .CFG file in my RetroArch configs folder called, “retroarch-core-options.” I’ve changed the framerate field to original, and I’ve changed the core specific config in the main RetroArch config file to “true,” but when I load up RetroArch, it still defaults back to full speed. What do I need to do to solve this issue?

Finally, I was just wondering, what are some of the tips/tricks that you all use for setting up the Mupen64plus core with RetroArch? Which GFXplugin should I be using? Is Glide64 the best one? I know each GFXplugin probably has pros and cons, but I’m looking for the best performance for the majority of games, and I’m also curious about which one is the most taxing on the system.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

I’m not sure about the other stuff, but I think gln64 is the “best” plugin, though you may need to fiddle with the Z-ordering stuff to get rid of clipping issues. Angrylion is definitely the most taxing and doesn’t run fullspeed on any normal machine (i.e., non-liquid nitrogen-cooled or whatever), AFAIK.

Ahhh yeah, I sort of suspected there might be some differing opinions on which GFXplugin is preferred for most games. I’ll have to look into Z-ordering, since I don’t know anything about it.

No one knows how to load a remapped control configuration by default rather than having to go in manually and load the file? Or, what I’m doing wrong trying to get RetroArch to default to Original rather than Fullspeed for the frame rate? Or for that matter, how to get any of the Core Specific settings to save? I can’t seem to change anything and get it to stick.

All right, both of the problems listed in my original post have been solved now. Awakened helped me out with some great info over on the Hyperspin forums (thank you again, Awakened!). I’m going to post a couple parts of our conversation here, just in case someone with the same issues finds this thread…

Awakened:

By default, RetroArch reads retroarch-core-options.cfg from the same folder the loaded main .cfg is. Unless that .cfg specifies a different path for core options. You should check all your .cfg files for core_options_path = to see if any specify a different location for that file. If you are using HyperLaunch/RocketLauncher, that might be telling RetroArch to load a config from your config folder. So that would by why it needs a retroarch-core-options.cfg in that folder. There’s also the Per Core Options setting in RetroArch to worry about which could have conflicting options in each core specific config. I have HyperLaunch and per core options disabled, and instead use the override config system. You can turn that on in General Settings, Load Overrides Automatically. There’s also a Load Remap files automatically option there you can enable. I explain how override files work here. I don’t mention auto loading of remap files, but it’s basically the same thing. Put the remap file in remap\Mupen64Plus and make sure it’s named Mupen64Plus.rmp. You have to set your remap folder in Path settings. Also, with HyperLaunch disabled, you need to set which core to load for each system in HyperHQ. In the parameter’s section, add -L cores\corenamehere.dll. If you use that method, it will read and write core options to retroarch-core-options.cfg in your main RetroArch folder. And it will use retroarch.cfg for regular settings.

Erika:

First of all, thank you so much! You’ve helped me make a ton of progress. Based on your post, I realized that I had an outdated version of RetroArch (because I didn’t have the ability to save/load overrides/remaps in the menu). So, I updated RetroArch, and now I can successfully save remapped controls and have them load up automatically (by placing the remap file in: remap\Mupen64Plus and naming it Mupen64Plus.rmp). So that’s all amazing now! However, I cannot seem to get the override config system to work. I have core_specific_config = “false” in the main retroarch.cfg, under general settings in RetroArch I have load remaps and overrides automatically both set to “ON,” and I’ve created a folder in my config folder titled, “Mupen64Plus” within which I’ve placed a .cfg file named “Mupen64Plus.” This file has the Mupen64Plus fields from the retroarch-core-options.cfg pasted inside of it, and changed accordingly. Is this what the file should contain? Obviously I’m doing something wrong because RetroArch still loads those same default settings from somewhere else. I use RocketLauncher and haven’t disabled that (I don’t even know how), but I couldn’t find anything where it was pulling settings from any other .cfg file. I couldn’t find a field for “core_options_path =” in the retroarch.cfg, the Nintendo64.cfg, or anywhere else that I looked. Also, just as a side note, the retroarch-core-options.cfg is being read from my configs folder, not from the main RetroArch folder. I don’t know how to change this (or if I need to) but I just thought I would mention it in case it’s relevant.

Awakened:

Override files aren’t normally meant for keeping core options. But, you should be able to make that Mupen64Plus.cfg work by adding core_options_path = “.\config\Mupen64Plus\Mupen64Plus.cfg” to the top of that file. This is a convenient work around I found by accident. That will tell RetroArch to load core options from that file when you are using the Mupen64Plus core. Assuming nothing RocketLauncher is doing conflicts with it. I’m not sure what it’s doing that makes it write settings to that core options file, but not read them.

Thanks for reposting the solution here :smiley:

what are the best settings for my laptop specs? Mupen64 and for Reicast and epsxe. Yes i know my laptop has crappy specs… It has 8gb of ddr3 ram

Architecture: x86_64 CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit Byte Order: Little Endian CPU(s): 4 On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3 Thread(s) per core: 2 Core(s) per socket: 2 Socket(s): 1 NUMA node(s): 1 Vendor ID: GenuineIntel CPU family: 6 Model: 37 Model name: Intel® Core™ i5 CPU M 540 @ 2.53GHz Stepping: 2 CPU MHz: 1199.000 CPU max MHz: 2534.0000 CPU min MHz: 1199.0000 BogoMIPS: 5053.67 Virtualization: VT-x L1d cache: 32K L1i cache: 32K L2 cache: 256K L3 cache: 3072K NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-3 Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid dtherm ida arat

Hi, didn’t want to make another thread, so I’ll ask here. Can somebody explain to me how this supposed to make any sense?

I mean, you have it mapped in a way that when jump is pressed it also turns camera. Like what?

And the only options for right stick (where camera controls are supposed to be) just change its axis, and nothing else, I can’t map anything to it.

Core input remapping has a limitation where actions that are mapped to a digital button cannot be moved to an analog and vice versa. You can use a core config override to change the actual retropad mapping just for that core, but it’s kinda clunky, too.

1 Like

That’s an idea, gonna try that tomorrow.

The latest builds of Glupen have core options to change how C buttons are mapped. Those might be easier to manage.