RetroArch - Native CRT Support

@markwkidd I will tidy the code up a little then submit the PR or if yould rather it will be up on my github as a separate branch to be cloned. I have been working on it for myself realy, I guess with everyone else wanting it, it help push me along. Of course I’ll be around for any discussions regarding xrandr and any code areas that might not make sense.

Also I’ll keep this post updated with any progress when it comes to the RPi.

@hunterk I’ll also stick around and help out with all the docs. There is still a lot more to add and there will be a little bit for Linux too. things like core options and enabling 1.0x max run speed.

1 Like

I think a PR would be best unless @hunterk feels otherwise

1 Like

Hi, Yesterday I downloaded the latest RA stable (1.7.2), which was realeased with the new CRT Super Resolution feature: https://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-1-7-2-released/. Nonetheless, this option does not appear on the “video” settings menu. That’s strange, because some weeks ago I tried one nightly build and the option was there!

PS.: I tried all the stable versions for Windows (x64 .zip and .exe / x86 .zip and .exe).

It should be at the bottom of the video options page, but it’s also considered an “advanced option,” so you’ll need to make sure “show advanced options” is set to “true” in settings > user interface.

That’s right! @hunterk I forgot this Thanks!

@hunterk Apparently the link libretro has posted to crtemudriver is out of date, the current build is here: https://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295

EDIT Think it may have been my link in my preliminary wiki post that was out of date so just updated it! Didn’t realise libretros blog was going to link there, may have to finish it! May be best to remove that link on the blog until it’s done as will definitely cause confusion I think.

I just edited the link in the blog post.

I have the same problem as @Foxhole , after exiting retroarch, the resolution remains the same.

I have W7 with emudriver

@foxhole @murphy10k I will have to look into this. It was not an issue before the merge. I’ll download the latest version and check on my setup. If there are issues I’ll post my findings here.

Please bear with, I have a lot going on ATM.

OK I can confirm the issue. I have located the code problem, which must have happened during the merge. I’ll see if I can sort this and get the PR pushed ASAP

@hunterk can you tweet this issue, just to let people know.

2 Likes

Ok it’s fixed. Code is on my Github if you want to compile. I have created a PR so hopefully it will be in soon.

1 Like

I can confirm that the PR has been merged. It will be fixed in the next nightly.

@Foxhole @murphy10k

2 Likes

I have created the PR for Linux switching. https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/pull/6655

Also if needed my git is https://github.com/alphanu1/MME4CRT

@hunterk @markwkidd

1 Like

Linux version merged! the is 1 thing to note.

There is a prerequisite to install one modeline on boot. In this case its 704x480@60 as this is the current exit res @hizzlekizzle. It obviously would be better with a res detection on the first res change to set the orig_width and orig_height like windows, so we can restore to that. This can be done by creating a .sh making it executable and a startup program.

To be honest this is probably the best res to have for Linux on a CRT anyway.

@hunterk

2 Likes

@Alphanu thanks for this quick fix and for your work.

@Alphanu , with the last nightly the problem continues, in addition, Windows shows an error on close Retroarch.

@murphy10k there were a few changes made when submitting the Linux version.

Can you get a screen capture of the error and maybe run Retroarch in verbose mode.

Sure,

And in verbose mode I get the same.

The capture is in 2560 because I take it just after exit, but I start the program from the 640x480 resolution of the desktop.

So it seems that after I added Linux support, it kind of messed up one part of windows.

I have fixed it and submitted a PR.

I have also thoroughly tested it on Windows and Linux.

2 Likes

Hi everyone. This is my first post on any forum ever so please bear with me if I goof anything up.

I’m a long time user of emulators but I decided to have a go at outputting to my crt last week. My setup is Win 7, r9 270, crt emudriver, and a pretty crappy, totally un-adjustable, 27" matsui tv.

Started off with groovymame using super resolutions and was blown away by how good it all looked(even on my matsui tv). Had a fair bit of overscan going on but I mucked about with the ‘monitor_specs’ line to get everything more or less fitting on the screen nicely.

Stumbled across this forum as I was trying to figure out how to get Epsxe working with crt emudriver. Turns out that epsxe wasn’t the way to go…! Anyway, so I fired up retroarch, made a few setting changes as per this link from the retroarch website: 15 khz CRT documentation wiki And fired up the following games: Einhander Castlevania SOTN FF9, 8, and 7 Omega Boost

They all ran and displayed perfectly as far as I can tell. Even the res switching ones. I booted up FF9 on my actual PS1 to compare screens and it was identical, although the screen position and overscan was ever so slightly different.

Sorry for the long post. Just really wanted to show some love to Alphanu and the retroarch guys. Amazing work Alphanu, thank you so much. It never ceases to amaze me how selfless and generous people(including yourself) are with their time and expertise. Now I just need to register with a forum that Calamity uses to give him some love also…

Happy to help contribute in some way if you ever need.

Oh and lastly. I too am having that issue where windows stays in super res after closing retroarch. Aaaand finally, i had to change my viewport mode to ‘rgui’ otherwise the screen was unreadable in super res. Not sure if that’s the correct thing to do, but it worked for me - might be worth putting a small bit about that in the’instructions’ link that I referred to earlier.

Cheers all.

Harry

4 Likes