Retroarch not saving my game / failing to save savestates

I’m sure this has been asked here before, as I’ve googled around and found several threads, but nothing I’ve tried works and I’m running out of ideas.

I’m using the latest nightly build, and I’m attempting to play Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense with the PCSX reARMed core, I tried to use the Mednafen PSX core, but when I try to open V8 with it, I either get a black screen, or the app closes, so I can only use rearmed to play the game.

Now, back to the saving part, if I save the game normally, by going to the options menu > Memory Card and saving on an empty slot (all of this in game), it theoretically saves, however when I restart the game, the save is gone. I also tried using savestates, however it keeps telling me that it failed to save.

I went to the retroarch settings and found the directory options. I tried changing the savefile and savestate directories to their default, on separate folders on my SD card, and on separate folders on my phone’s internal memory, none of 'em worked, it keeps telling me that it failed to savestate.

And now I’m out of ideas, I don’t know what to do for it to let me savestate or let me save the game at all.

As for your memory card save issue, after saving to the memory card AFAIK you need to manually “close content” in the QuickMenu to permanently save the file. If you just quit out of RetroArch, load a state from before you saved to the memory card, or have a crash before doing this the save file is lost.

I recently had some issues with saving on PCSX ReArmed using a .srm (memory card save file) I had brought over from iOS. After playing around with several things, I’m pretty sure the save file got corrupted somehow. I went back to a prior save (which also had been ported over) and have had no issues so far.

Best of luck!

[QUOTE=Stilletto;48696]As for your memory card save issue, after saving to the memory card AFAIK you need to manually “close content” in the QuickMenu to permanently save the file. If you just quit out of RetroArch, load a state from before you saved to the memory card, or have a crash before doing this the save file is lost.

I recently had some issues with saving on PCSX ReArmed using a .srm (memory card save file) I had brought over from iOS. After playing around with several things, I’m pretty sure the save file got corrupted somehow. I went back to a prior save (which also had been ported over) and have had no issues so far.

Best of luck![/QUOTE]

I tried that and it didn’t work, after I saved the game I opened the quick menu and pressed “close”, opened the game again and the save file was gone. Also you did mention that if I load a state before I saved to the mem card the save file would be lost, the savefile is just half of my problem, retroarch literally can’t save anything for me, both savefiles and savestates don’t seem to work for me.

I noticed it stuck in 0% in the latest build I updated recently, it didn’t happen before. To make sure, I restored states to the original states folder, which is inside the Android system data folder, something like data/data/com.retroach/states, and it worked, it saved the state as usual, but I don’t want to save states inside the phone’s memory, I have a big SD card to store data like that. I also checked if RA has permission for “storage”, which it does, so, it should work.

Anyway, I’ll let you know if I find a solution.

I’m having the same issue and also can’t import saves from RetroArch pc when i do it resets the srm and when I load up the game it say there are no saves.