Retroarch on iOS 9.3.5 (iPad 2)

Hello, I have recently found an old iPad 2. The farthest it goes is iOS 9.3.5. I jailbroke it I’m finding it difficult to install a proper version of Retroarch.

Oddly, Retroarch’s repo(buildbot.libretro/repo/cydia) doesn’t get added to my sources at all. When I started looking for sources it installed just fine but now when added it says it is a legacy installer.

When it worked it had two versions of Retroarch, neither of which installed properly. The icon refused to load for the iOS 9 version and the earlier version crashed when the icon clicked.

I added (kromite.github.io/repo) and this is the only repo I found so far that has a working version for iPads.

Version 1.30 will actually get Retroarch running. Unfortunately I am still having some issues. Save states don’t work and Bluetooth doesn’t seem to work either.

Does anyone who is using an iPad 2 have a good version of Retroarch? Or does anyone know how to fix save states on 1.30?

For those who are stuck on iOS 9.3.5 I will leave this for you so you don’t struggle like I did.

The easiest solution for turning your old tablet into a decent emulation machine is to follow this tutorial and just straight up downgrade. It’s safe enough and perfectly streamlined.

Version 1.0 works perfectly on 6.1.3 and has decent core support (NES, SNES, Genesis, MAME, PSX, ect.) and can be found on Cydia. Bluetooth controller and the like all work. PPSSPP has a standalone app which is also supported on 6.1.3 and it’s not too shabby. I played through Persona 3 Portable with no issues.

Good luck y’all.

1 Like

Nice one - I am going to try this on my old iPad 2 tonight! :smile: