Retroarch on Raspbery PI 4 not running

I hope its ok to use this thread since the title describes my situation.

I grabbed the nightly for the Pi4 (http://nightly.builds.lakka.tv/Lakka-LE9.2/latest/RPi4.arm/) and I burned the image and when I turn on the Pi the TV detects a connection but the screen just goes black and does not change. In case something went wrong I burned the image again on a different card but got the same result. I know this is based on LE9.2 so I downloaded that and it worked fine and booted into Kodi

I have burned plenty of images before for the Pi2 and Amlogic devices so I dont think the issue is with imaging the SD card.

I’be been able to build retroarch fine, and even cores (which matched buildbot output exactly). The problem is that retroarch refuses to actually /detect/ the cores. I’ve been assuming simply placing them in the cores folder inside retroarch would do (or in folders within), but nothing seems to work. Built? They get ignored. Downloaded from Buildbot? Ignored. Must be doing something wrong but no idea what.

did you try to download the cores via the online updater ?

The core updater just flashes the screen and nothing happens. That’s why I resorted to building them/downloading from buildbot.

you need to edit ( I did it with via winscp internal editor because I’m a bit new in all of this :slight_smile: ) retroarch.cfg located in home/pi/.config/ , search for core_updater_buildbot_url and add http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/linux/armv7-neon-hf/latest/ . Edit : I haven’t tested the cores myself yet.

Will give it a shot and report back later.

If you want to use cores you have compiled or downloaded, you need to place them in home/pi/.config/retroarch/cores/

I’m not sure why the Lakka .img would not be working maybe a driver or a compile flag was wrong when the image was created.

Your best bet would be to add this to a Lakka support thread.

@gouchi is the Lakka img still in early beta stages for the RPI4? Is this a known issue with a work around?

@servy the retroarch.cfg is located in home/pi/.config/retroarch/

Cores going now - thanks, that did the trick!

@Alphanu Thanks, I must be getting old because I have trouble navigating these new style forums so if there is a direct link to the Lakka Support thread I will happily post my observations there