RetroArch on Windows 10 start up problem?

I have this annoying issue on Windows 10 and i don’t know how to fix it.

First of all, my system is a dual boot with both Windows 7 and 10. On Windows 7 everything is fine. But on Windows 10, the same RetroArch setup, when i open the program, i get a black screen for about 3 seconds before i see the display. On Windows 7, the program opens instantly. The problem is that the game actually loads during the black screen. That means everything is covered when i load a game for the first few seconds (like the GBA bios screen for instance).

I can also hear the screen doing some “popping” noises while it tries to show the picture.

Can someone help me a bit with this because i can’t find anything.

Check the log and see if it says anything. If not, you can try using a different video driver. The new d3d11 driver is quite nice.

DX11 doesn’t have that issue. It happens with gl though but only on Windows 10. Windows 7 is clear (on the same hardware, using the same RetroArch setup).

Thing is i prefer gl because it has the GPU sync option for the lower input lag.

Also, this is a recent problem. I didn’t have it some time ago. So it must be something in the newer nightlies?

And i don’t know how to generate a log… :frowning:

https://docs.libretro.com/guides/generating-retroarch-logs/#retroarch-logs

If you can pinpoint when it started using the buildbot nightlies (be sure to try it with 1.7.0 stable, too), we can try to find what might have caused it.

However, since it’s happening in Win10 and not Win7 on an otherwise identical machine and RA version, I’m leaning toward it being something outside of RA (perhaps a GPU driver).

Another strange thing is that on my second screen it starts normally, even on windows 10. Thus it affects only my primary screen.

I will try and get a log later on.

I found what caused the issue!

On my primary screen, i had the option “output color depth” at 12bpc. Changing it back to 8bpc fixed the issue.

Although again, i don’t know why this only happens on g and only on Windows 10. I also don’t know what i’m losing with this option.

1 Like

Olá. Eu tinha uma placa gráfica ATI RADEON HD5450 1GB no meu computador. Porém a mesma deu defeito. Após o ocorrido o Retroarch não abre mais com a placa gráfica onboard Intel® G41 Express Chipset.

quando executo o retroarch.exe abre uma janela branca(como na imagem)e logo após se fecha. Segue configuração atual do meu computador. Tenho um notebook com a mesma configuração porém com windows 8.1 84x e o Retroarch funciona perfeitamente. Agradeço se alguém puder me ajudar com esse problema. placa%20gr%C3%A1fica|690x474

! sistema|681x499

@CARIOCAJR Win10 no longer has GL drivers for those old Intel GPUs. You’ll need to open your retroarch.cfg and change video_driver = “gl” to “d3d9”

1 Like

Tentei esse procedimento, porém o meu arquivo retroarch.cfg encontra-se dessa forma. C:\Users\junio\AppData\Roaming\RetroArch

if the video_driver line isn’t there yet, you’ll just have to add it.

video_driver = “d3d9”

1 Like