RetroArch on WinXP 32-bit - Transparent window

First and foremost, system info:
RetroArch Log
systeminfo command output

When I launch RetroArch, I get an empty console window and a small blank window. It essentially retains whatever picture was under it the moment it was opened. As far as I understand, this is supposed to be the main RetroArch UI, because pressing F makes it go fullscreen and double tapping Esc makes the window go away, while single Esc presses do nothing.
I’ve installed DirectX 9 from Microsoft’s official offline redistributable installer and RetroArch from RetroArch-MSVC10-Win32-setup.exe. I’ve tried all the listed available video drivers (gl, gl1, d3d8, null), to no avail. I’ve also cycled between rgui, xmb and ozone for every driver. That didn’t help. None of the configurations worked, all drivers except null showed the same blank window.
Rebooting several times and reinstalling DX9 didn’t help, too.
AFAIK nobody has encountered such an issue before, google searches didn’t net anything except another XP problem about a missing manifest and an “Invalid argument” error, both seemingly irrelevant.

Hmm, yeah, this is the first I’ve heard of this particular issue, and it sounds like you’ve tried all of the stuff I would have suggested. I think it’s time to open a bug report on the RetroArch issue tracker:

Okay, thanks, will post there ASAP. Would copying/slightly narrowing down the contents of this post be all right or is it better to just hotlink to it?

whichever you prefer. You’ll be including most of it anyway as you follow the issue template, but you can hotlink it down at the bottom for context, if you like.

I also have a problem with video in RetroArch from version “v1.11.0” to “v1.14” for XP

Oh, I almost forgot I posted here. The devs have been pretty much silent on this one I brought up - https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/14830 so I’ve been looking for alternative solutions. Turns our the latest Buildbot builds work okay, you would just have to change configs to run them with video_driver=gdi and menu_driver=rgui though. Other drivers haven’t worked for me all too well, so consider this a starting point and fall back to it if other options fail.

1 Like

you would just have to change configs to run them with video_driver=gdi and menu_driver=rgui though.

This did not work for me, I still get the unrendered window with an empty console window behind it. Tried both latest stable and nightly msvc2010 builds.