RetroArch PS3 beta releases (v1.2.2)

np. RGUI is still my favorite menu driver. It scales gracefully all the way down to 240p :slight_smile:

@Solas if you like trying the GLUI, just set the DPI Override to 240 on Settings/Menu and your dispaly issue should be fixed.

I Just noticed another core that is missing: (mednafen_ngp_libretro_ps3) Neo Geo Pocket

[QUOTE=STLcardsWS;30045]I Just noticed another core that is missing: (mednafen_ngp_libretro_ps3) Neo Geo Pocket[/QUOTE]

I removed that core in the first beta release (see the first post on this thread) since itā€™s not working, i just get a white screen while launching a rom.

Anyway here itā€™s another beta release with minor fixes.

Beta 1.5 https://www.sendspace.com/file/35r1vu

Changelog

Fixed a display issue appearing on the menu (GLUI) when youā€™re using your custom RetroXMB packages The 400 dpi override value has been set directly on the code and not more through the configuration file Now the welcome message is displayed at first boot of the homebrew just like it should be

Installation Note

Remove the previous beta from XMB and install the latest available version (recommended)

[QUOTE=Ezio_PS;30356]I removed that core in the first beta release (see the first post on this thread) since itā€™s not working, i just get a white screen while launching a rom. [/QUOTE]

Opps sorry i missed that noteā€¦

got in installed and working great. one glitch I noticed, and maybe STLcardsWS can confirm as well, is in the SNES core, after the state is saved, the game slows down drastically and becomes very glitchy.

Thank you Ezio, your work is very much appreciated!

I just tried saving/loading on the SNES core and I didnā€™t see any difference in framerate or anything like thatā€¦ not sure what the problem could be there.

Has anyone been able to load Atari Lynx games? I have the lynxboot.img in the same folder with the other BIOSā€™, but no dice, the screen just hangs at ā€˜INFO - Loading xxx.lnxā€™

Thanks again Ezio.

@kais9 i didnā€™t notice that issue youā€™re saying, state save works fine for me with snes core, maybe your issue could be related to the game and not to the core, so which game are you playing?

@cosmo_kramer iā€™m not using a bios for Atari Lynx, some rom could not work though, i tested Batman Returns, Alien vs Predator and they work fine, Gauntlet works but the screen is rotated of 90 degree, Dracula doesnā€™t work (screen hangs at ā€˜INFO - Loading xxx.lnxā€™ and the console crashes). I also noticed you cannot load two roms consecutively otherwise the ps3 crashes. I was forgettingā€¦ the rom must be in .lnx format.

Thanks Ezio for the beta release. Any word on the PS3 getting an updated MAME core past MAME 2003, such as MAME 2015?

Iā€™m not the best person to reply your question, anyway mame2015 doesā€™t compile (at least for me) and maybe it could work too slow on a ps3, not sure though.

I doubt it, but would great good to see. The PS3 already has some other MAME emulators that are based on higher versions then MAME 2003 (0.78) such as PS3 MAME (v0.142) Then Oleā€™s MAME port i cant recall which version that one based on (i think something like 0.124 or in that range). But they play basically the same games. The newer version have more 3D games and that is where the problems come in on the PS3 and emulationā€¦ The devs here could give more insight then i could on the ins and outs of it. but basically i doubt we see an updated MAME Core anytime soon.

but just my theory :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for this release!

Unfortunately, the multipass presets arenā€™t working, for some reasonā€¦

Only single shader presets load correctly.

I noticed that RA is becoming slower after each new PS3 version. Some shaders are running slower than they used to be in old builds.

[QUOTE=Hyllian;30790]Thank you very much for this release!

Unfortunately, the multipass presets arenā€™t working, for some reasonā€¦

Only single shader presets load correctly.

I noticed that RA is becoming slower after each new PS3 version. Some shaders are running slower than they used to be in old builds.[/QUOTE]

Obviously RA keeps moving forward and these consoles arenā€™t getting any younger.

I guess people have to just accept that we are not micro-optimizing things for a couple of dead consoles, things move on. I guess people need to be glad we still keep supporting them. We are hardly getting any commits for these platforms anyway. If people cared enough to do something about getting some of that performance back theyā€™d give us pull requests but that is obviously not happening.

Also, I really try with every release to balance things so that it keeps working nicely on older platforms. What you see here is the best possible thing I can accomplish. Any other developer at this point would have either dropped all these platforms or made them 2/3x slower already simply out of not caring. I am the exact opposite of that, but it still is hard trying to keep moving things forward for newer platforms that people are actually using in large numbers and still catering to a few niche dead platforms at the same time.

Regarding the shaders maybe being slower: I moved to a full GL driver again, the hacked up GL driver I had before might have been fast but it had several very big regressions so I moved back to the slower but more full featured version again. I guess this is what you mean by things being ā€˜slowerā€™.

Thanks for the hard work, Square. I know itā€™s really hard to support so many platforms. My intention was just to inform about that characteristic. Maybe weā€™re reaching a dead end for this platform.

Hereā€™s another build with new cores and Italian translation.

Beta 1.6 https://www.sendspace.com/file/bhol3c

Changelog

Added Mednafen Lynx core, it needs bios in the rom folder Added Prosystem core, it needs bios in the rom folder Added Vectrex core, it needs bios in the system or custom folder Added Stella core, no bios required Updated Fceumm core, now turbo buttons for player 1 and player 2 work fine Added the Italian translation Fixed the code to allow to translate the second to last entry of the help menu Now the Spanish translation is correctly applied to that entry

Note Mednafen Lynx core has a different compatibility than Handy Lynx, although both the cores cannot load successfully two roms consecutively otherwise the homebrew will crash Using Prosystem core some games will work fine, others will have noticeable glitch or wonā€™t work Vectrex core allow to load fine almost all the roms, but you could get back to the xmb when you try to close a game

[QUOTE=Ezio_PS;30855ā€¦[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the update !!!

Anyone Having sound issues with VBA Next ? I tried playing Mother 1+2, the game run smoothly but no sound. Iā€™ll try other roms/cores and the latest beta this evening. Nonetheless thanks for compiling for us! I wish I could compile it too but I donā€™t think there is a Cell SDK for linux sadly.

Here vba next core works fine with Mother1+2, both video than audio, wondering whatā€™s your issue.

Anyway i would like to mention handy lynx core doesnā€™t need a bios on ps3, while mednafen lynx needs it, i forget to include this info in the previous post.

[QUOTE=Ezio_PS;30855]Hereā€™s another build with new cores and Italian translation.

Beta 1.6 https://www.sendspace.com/file/bhol3c

Changelog

Added Mednafen Lynx core, it needs bios in the rom folder Added Prosystem core, it needs bios in the rom folder Added Vectrex core, it needs bios in the system or custom folder Added Stella core, no bios required Updated Fceumm core, now turbo buttons for player 1 and player 2 work fine Added the Italian translation Fixed the code to allow to translate the second to last entry of the help menu Now the Spanish translation is correctly applied to that entry

Note Mednafen Lynx core has a different compatibility than Handy Lynx, although both the cores cannot load successfully two roms consecutively otherwise the homebrew will crash Using Prosystem core some games will work fine, others will have noticeable glitch or wonā€™t work Vectrex core allow to load fine almost all the roms, but you could get back to the xmb when you try to close a game[/QUOTE]

Hi Ezio, I just updated the Git for Libretro\Prosystem as there were problems with the database.c file - bad entries causing graphical glitches in a few games. I will be updating these as I find them, and adding new entries for homebrew 7800 games as needed.

any chance you can re-compile the SELF for Prosystem so we can check it?

hello underball, here is the prosystem core recompiled using latest source available with your change, you can install it over latest beta release or like standalone pkg.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/oong2k