Retroarch slow (stuck at 30FPS) on 4K tv

Hi All, I had a couple issues with Retroarch on my 4k TV. 1st was black flickering screen which @Awakened helped me fix by rolling back my Nvidia driver to 411.63.

I still have an issue with Retroarch cores being super slow. Retroarch shows that it is stuck at 30fps but performes even lower than that and I believe this may have to do with my 4K tv. Here are my specs: Windows 10/GTX 1050/Ryzen 5/4K tv. My recommended display settings is 3840 x 2160 and Retroarch is in Full screen mode.

I tried displaying at 1080 as well as going back to previous verisons of Retroarch (1.7.0) and still have slowdowns. Mind you when I play a regular PC game, everything runs smoothly. Maybe it’s something to do with my graphics card?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

1 Like

Is your PC’s power consumption setting set to “max performance”? If you hit the spacebar, does RetroArch speed up?

I’ll try that when I get home. Is there somewhere I can adjust the setting for “max performance” besides hitting spacebar?

Those are unrelated. “max performance” is in Windows’ “Power Options” control panel.

Spacebar turns off vsync and and audio sync and lets the core run as fast as it can. If this doesn’t speed it up past 60 FPS that usually means something is bottlenecking somewhere, eitehr your hardware not being fast enough or something artificially messing things up.

K, I’ll update once I get home. Thanks for all the help!!!

@hunterk I pressed the spacebar on an NES game ad it was able to fast forward the game, really fast.

ok, so something is screwy then… you can try setting video_refresh_rate in your retroarch.cfg to 60.0000

Didn’t do anything. Was already set to 59.0060. Changed it to 60 in the CFG file but same slowdown issue.

if you set video_fullscreen_x/y to 1920x1080, does it act any differently?

Tried it. Still same issue with slowdown

Is your screen running at 60hz via the Nvidia drivers?

1 Like

BINGO! Nvidia driver was set to 30Hz. Changed to 60 now everything runs perfectly. Thanks for everyone’s help!!

1 Like