Retroarch slowly desintregrating

The issues seemingly started at MelonDS, although that might be a reach. Touch doesn’t work there. Then, Gambette started to crash on any game that uses a flashing (flash fade?) effect, forcing me to use mgba for those games. Then, fastforward broke for all gameboy original and gameboy color games in such a way that it worked for a few minutes if I changed the status of my connected gamepad; that is, if it gets disconnected, it works for a few minutes then v-sync gets forced, reconnected it works again for the few minutes. Then, that extended to gameboy advance. Cores made no difference. After, screenshots from gameboy games got somehow forced to native-res only, and screenshots from cores for other systems retained the display resolution but with sizes of only a few kbs. Then, Parallel64 started crashing on most 3d games on start-up when the day before they ran just fine and I had spent a lot of time fine-tuning the settings for each game. What is going on? I don’t see any “screenshot enable” setting with or without advanced settings turned on. There’s some strange behavior on the video driver that constantly seems to force itself to dx11 when I want vulkan where possible, if it’s relevant.

OK, I took the nuclear option of deleting everything and starting from scratch. This seemed to work initially, save for fixing compatibility issues on Gambette. That is, until I started the mGBA core. Every bug was restored, save for screenshotting in non-gameboy cores. At least I think. I don’t want to test the latter too much because I accidentally didn’t backup my screenshots and am trying to recover some of them. Touch support on the MelonDS core appears to not be implemented yet or was disabled on current versions.

Are you using any launcher (emulationstation or launchbox or whatever) or just RetroArch on its own? If using mGBA is what’s causing the problems, can you try moving your retroarch.cfg somewhere else temporarily and then generate and post a log of you loading something with mGBA?

I don’t think this is believable, but the fast-forwarding fixed itself temporarily, while I was using the 2nd config after the nuclear restart. That is, until I opened a ROM with Gambette and then tried using mGBA. I don’t know how I suddenly got it working for those brief moments before. But I had recorded proof of this issue just in case. https://youtu.be/7YBRZmcY9pg The unidentified sounds are disconnect and connect sounds from SCP toolkit.

After deleting the cfg and letting retroarch generate a 3rd cfg, The fast-forwarding also works… Even within Gambette. But it also fixes the small, original res screenshots that gets forced on all gameboy content. I don’t get it. My only significant change global-wise is selecting Vulkan, and it doesn’t reproduce the result.

I can’t add the cfg you requested. because everything gives me errors trying to share it. Here, I’m told I’m only allowed to upload images or that the text exceeds the character limit. Hastebin just gives a generic error. Anonfiles says: “Server responded with 0 code.” Trying to paste it to a filler imgur upload is too much for my PC to handle and the entire browser crashes, like with youtube.

Sorry, I neglected to say I don’t use frontends besides Retroarch. I didn’t see an edit button.

OK, this is weird. I have not been able to replicate these bugs a third time, baring the compatibility issues.