Retroarch stopped working, and how do I install 1.2?

First, how do I install Retroarch 1.2 on Ubuntu? It says on the page that its finished. Second, a while back, all of a sudden, Retroarch stopped working. It starts up, and then when I press a button nothing happens. This used to only happen when I started it outside X, then I gave it permissions and it worked. But now it doesnt work in any way.

I don’t think sergio has pushed it over to the stable repo yet. If you’re using the testing repo, you’re already using 1.2+, so you’re all set.

Is all of your input broken? Like keyboard, pads, everything?

[QUOTE=hunterk;24743]I don’t think sergio has pushed it over to the stable repo yet. If you’re using the testing repo, you’re already using 1.2+, so you’re all set.

Is all of your input broken? Like keyboard, pads, everything?[/QUOTE]

Yup, everything. I tried reinstalling and deleting all the retroarch/libretro files. It used to work fine, then I changed some setting in video settings, which made it run super slow, changed it back, rebooted, and it stopped working. I don’t remember what option, but it seems like a coincidence.

in a terminal, can you try: cp ~/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg ./retroarch.cfg.backup && rm ~/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg This will backup and delete your retroarch config and let you start over fresh to see if that helps. The backup will be located in ~/ in case you need to go back to it.

It worked :D. edit: Its working fine now.

edit2 : the core updater wont work, how do I use the new cores? :c I click on them but they wont appear in the load core menu! I cant even find the (for example) snes9x_libretro.so (or so.zip) file when I search for them in Files. Since it’s a different error: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3364

ALso, whats the install command for 1.2 testing? I already got the testing PPA now.

[QUOTE=dylstew;24832]It worked :D. edit: Its working fine now.

edit2 : the core updater wont work, how do I use the new cores? :c I click on them but they wont appear in the load core menu! I cant even find the (for example) snes9x_libretro.so (or so.zip) file when I search for them in Files. Since it’s a different error: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3364[/QUOTE]

Ok, do you know that the default path to cores on Ubuntu is /usr/lib/libretro/ right? You should use the cores from the PPA, they are updated regularly. You can’t update the cores by the RetroArch option, because the cores are in the root folder !!! RetroArch is not running as super user, so it can’t override root files (and you should not run it as a root btw).

If you want to use the cores from the libretro buildbot, you should change Settings --> Directory Settings --> Core Dir to other place, like your home folder (i.e. /home/your-user/retroarch/core/ for example, or /home/your-user/.config/retroarch/core/).

Edit: This apply to other stuff too, like core info, assets and shaders, by default they are all in the root, if you want to update them (using RetroArch feature) change the paths in Settings --> Directory Settings

Thanks for the info. I just ran it with sudo, updated the cores, closed it and then ran it normally.

What happens if I run it as root though? Like, what bad things can happen?

[QUOTE=dylstew;24910]Thanks for the info. I just ran it with sudo, updated the cores, closed it and then ran it normally.

What happens if I run it as root though? Like, what bad things can happen?[/QUOTE]

Man, it’s linux, not windows, it does not make sense run stuff like that as root. And you can change the paths, so it doesn’t make sense at all. For anyone else reading this thread, don’t run RetroArch as root user.

It doesn’t make sense because it’s not windows is not an actual reason though. Now if you give me a reason such as, giving it root access to Retroarch so it can do anything could fuck certain things up on my system if Retroarch has a certain bug. that would be an actual argument.

Here’s a decent explanation: http://www.howtogeek.com/124950/htg-explains-why-you-shouldnt-log-into-your-linux-system-as-root/

I’m not doing that though, I’m just running retroarch as sudo for updating the cores, and then afterwards running it normally. It’s a nice explenation but I’m not running the entire systen in root.

yeah, no big deal. It’s your system, you can do what you want with it.