Retroarch stutters randomly, prompt for controller registering

Issue I’m having with Retroarch, I get random and frequent stutters in all cores, accompanied with on-screen prompt of the controller registering. It’s worth noting it doesn’t matter what controller I use, I get this issue, and, even WITHOUT a controller I am experiencing this (however in that case there will not be a prompt). If anyone else has run across this issue, let me know if you were able to solve it, it would be much appreciated. I have included below a pastebin of the log of me opening retroarch, launching Super Mario World, letting it idle at the attract screen, during which the issue occurs 4-5 times, then I exit the game and quit retroarch.

http://pastebin.com/WNZHPrXu

Thanks!

I should note there was a similar thread here:

“It only re-enuerates when there are changes to the connected devices so for reason one of your devices is connecting/disconnecting, or your driver is reporting that. RA only reacts to those events.”

This is what I’m seeing even without any gamepad connected to my PC at all, even when using keyboard only I am seeing constant re-enumerations in the logs:

RetroArch [INFO] :: Found XInput v1.4. RetroArch [INFO] :: Found XInput v1.4. RetroArch [INFO] :: Enumerating DInput joypads … RetroArch [INFO] :: Done enumerating DInput joypads … RetroArch [INFO] :: Found joypad driver: “dinput”. RetroArch [INFO] :: Found XInput v1.4. RetroArch [INFO] :: Found XInput v1.4. RetroArch [INFO] :: Enumerating DInput joypads … RetroArch [INFO] :: Done enumerating DInput joypads … RetroArch [INFO] :: Found joypad driver: “dinput”. RetroArch [INFO] :: Saved new config to “D:\Games\RetroArch\retroarch.cfg”.

I’ve been going through processes one by one, killing them to see if anything is being interpreted by RA as some kind of virtual joystick, but no luck yet. This is on Windows 10 btw…

Oh boy, I’ve had the same exact problem myself. Tried 3 different controllers (PS4, X1, 360) and different inputs drivers, no luck. It’s really a problem if it occurs in the middle of an action, as the stuttering causes you to drop inputs.

I’ve scoured the web as best I could to see if someone had found a solution, but so far nothing. The few solutions I came across such as using a different USB hub, switching power settings, none of them worked.

Hey, it’s been a while.

I think I finally solved this problem a few months ago by installing a USB 2.0 expansion card and plugging my gamepads into that. I suspect that the onboard Intel USB 3.0 ports I was originally using are either buggy or defective, based on some intermittent issues I was having with other devices outside of RetroArch.

Amazon has a variety of good VT6212-based cards for around $10-15; if you have a spare expansion slot and are willing to spend a few bucks, you might want to give this a try.

What I don’t understand is that this keeps happening even if i switch to wireless. And the longer RA is running the more frequent it seems to happen. Very frustrating.

Try as I might I fail to find a solution. What’s stranger is that this only happens in Retroarch. When I use other emulators everything works just fine.

EDIT: Nevermind this is still happening and I can’t find a solution. I even reinstalled windows.

Has anyone found a solution for this problem yet? I have the same autodetect/stuttering problems (with a wireless X360 emulating PS3 gamepad input using an usb dongle) via xinput. Nothing helps, energy settings/usb ports etc. I should add that none of any my other games & emulators pose this problem, just retroarch. Damn, there must be some kind of workaround for this.

The RAW input driver permanently fixed this problem for me. I suggest anyone who has this problem to try it out.

Cool, I’ll try the “raw driver” method soon.

What I ultimately discovered was the more USB devices I had hooked up at one time, the longer and more noticeable the stutters were. With just the gamepad plugged in they were not noticeable after disabling the text display.

I will try the RAW input driver, good tip.

1 Like