Retroarch takes screenshots only for Retro Achievements

Hi,

I have a problem with taking screenshots in RA. When I take a screenshot, I get the widget saying the screenshot has been taken, there is the thumbnail and the file name, but the file is nowhere to be found. My screenshot directory is correct, I have “GPU screenshot” enabled, but the screenshot does not show up in the folder.

But there is ONE case where the screenshot is correctly taken : when I unlock a Retro Achievement, a screenshot is taken and it show up correctly in the screenshot folder.

Any idea ?

Can you post a log of you trying and failing to take a screenshot?

Thank you for your answer Hunterk. Here is the logfile :

Hmm, I can see where it’s writing it to the image viewer playlist:

[INFO] [Playlist]: Written to playlist file: G:\Emulation\Retroarch\content_image_history.lpl

Is it showing up there? Also, have you tried any other video drivers to see if they suffer from the same behavior?

Yes, something has been written (in binary ? It’s unreadable) in the file content_image_history.lpl, according to the time and date, when I tried to take a screenshot an hour ago.

And I just tried with glcore : same problem.

Can you get a screenshot of the binary nonsense in your image playlist? And, if you don’t mind, copy/paste the actual lpl playlist entry?

With that info, I think we have enough info to open a proper issue on github. Just a couple of other things to check: does it do it with a fresh config (try moving your retroarch.cfg somewhere else temporarily and let it make a new config with default values), and did/does it happen with older versions, such as v1.8.9? (this last one may be hard to check right now, I know)

So, I tried with a new config file and it works, the screenshot got taken. So everything works fine with a fresh config file. But it also wrote in content_image_history.lpl, but this time, it’s readable :

So, I moved back my old retroarch.cfg to make the screenshot of the unreadable content_image_history :

Imgur

https://pastebin.com/8jk1Fbkz

And I can tell you that the problem has been occuring for a long time now, at least a few months, so it’s not a problem with the 1.9.0 version of RA.

Update with my problem : I created a new retroarch.cfg since it seemed to work with a fresh config ; but now, the problem is that the screenshots are put in the rom folder, not in retroarch/screenshots as I specified in Retroarch.

Ok, that’s weird that an option would cause this :open_mouth:

Can you bisect your config to find the offending option? That is, take half of the old config and paste it into a new blank config and try to take a screenshot. If it doesn’t take, then one of those options is the offender, so cut it in half again. If it does take, then you know your offending option is in the other half. Repeat this process until you’re down to the last option (shouldn’t take more than 5-10 iterations, tops).

I found the culprit ! This line :

screenshots_in_content_dir = “true”

I changed it to “false” and now it works ! But is it not weird that I have this option in my config file ? Isn’t it redundant with the “Screenshot directory” option ? It bypasses it anyway.

Yeah, that seems like something that could have unintended interactions, for sure. Not this kind of reaction, but still. Thanks for all of the investigation. We’ll see what we can do to fix it on this end.

1 Like