RetroArch used to detect my PS4 controller but not anymore

I have searched and searched all over but have not found anything similar to what I need…

I had an old RetroArch till I saw the website had a newer version that supports PSX cd games… Works great, if you can find the BIOS… but that’s not the issue I have…

RetroArch used to detect my PS4 (Pro) Controller as a PS4 Controller. Well, I was messing around with the settings trying to get the Rumble to transmit to my controller when in the Video settings I changed from “gl” to “glcore” and all of a sudden, my controller is no longer detected as a PS4 Controller. Now pressing the PS Button still works to bring up the menu but no other controls work. I see the workaround of setting the controller as “Wireless Controller” and Keybinding everything again but I don’t want to do that… How do I get the program to see it as a PS4 Controller again? I’ve tried deleting the config file and I’ve tried disconnecting the controller and removing the device from my Bluetooth adaptor.

1 Like

Did you change your joypad driver while you were in there? That could/would affect how it’s recognized.

I don’t think so, where would that be? like I said, I tried resetting all the settings by deleting the config file…

settings > driver > joypad driver. The default is xinput, but you could try some others (just don’t set it to “null”). Make sure you close RetroArch and then reopen it between driver changes.

xinput was what it was detected at… maybe it was setting it to null, cause I did try that but put it back to xinput… It does now say detected in Port #1 when it used to say #0

I think that’s okay, as long as it’s working.

1 Like

unfortunately it’s not working as the way it originally was… I’d like a solution to it not detecting the controller as a PS4 Controller anymore

Update: I’d still like it to be able to detect my controller as a PS4 controller again but my DS4 program has fixed my issue with remapping the keys and Rumble feature…

i think xinput is for xbox controllers (or any controller transformed into a xbox controller through 3rd party programs), and any controller not recognized as a xbox controller is supposed to use dinput.

Regardless… It was on x from default and was detecting my PS4 Controller as “PS4 Controller” and it isn’t doing that anymore…

regardless… i confirm xinput is for xbox controllers, see m$ documentation : https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/xinput/xinput-and-directinput

ps4 controllers aren’t supposed to be detected as xbox controllers without 3rd party tools, period.

Well, it was working

Isn’t there a Program that makes the Computer think the a PS4 Controller was a XBOX One?

There are programs to turn pretty much any controller into xbox controllers, that’s undoubtly what the OP was using when his ps4 controller was detected by xinput. One well known for ds4 is DS4Windows but there are more generic ones.

1 Like

I did say I got it to work with my DS4 program. But I want it to detect it as PS4 again…

I already gave you the fix for that : use dinput. XInput is for controllers detected as xbox controllers…

1 Like

didn’t work… still not showing up as a PS4 controller

Well, should be obvious but since DS4Windows turned your controller into a xbox controller, your controller will act weird as long as you don’t cleanup this mess, meaning erasing DS4Windows & removing every controller in your device manager so that their device/driver relationship reset, only after that you can plug your ds4 controller (windows will tell you it’s installing the driver for the device).

I know since i had to go through this shit just last month.

Sigh… Wasn’t using the DS4 app before… Still want my controller to be recognized as a PS4 Controller again… There has to be a way…

then there is no doubt you were using dinput before, because a DS4 controller won’t be recognized as xinput without 3rd party tools