Retroarch > Video Player

I remember the very first time I read something about Retroarch, it was that Retroarch’s purpose was to be a multimedia software, not so focused on game or emulation like it is today, but for videos, music and pictures as well, etc., well at least it was the way I interpreted that.

I wonder if there’s plans to make Retroarch a multimedia software, I’ve been watching some pre wide screen videos, and as I’m getting used to use borders/overlays in consoles, I’m missing it in those videos as well, I made some quick samples as how I imagine that.

My ideas can go with the wind:

I’m watching Spider-Man 1994, I picked an overlay I’ve found in Retroarch’s overlay folder to make this one and added the glass from another overlay, there are some slight scratches in the glass too.

4 Likes

EDIT:

Well I just tried and it works pretty good when playing back videos, but the subtitles are not showing :frowning:

I would be cheking the options since I have been wanting to do this from a long time.

1 Like

Haha, nice one man, how did you do that, it’s the FFMpeg core? Does it play AVI, MKV, MP4 etc? Now I have to figure out how to add this to Kodi.

Edit: I just tried that and it works! I had the subtitles in the same folder it didn’t show in the video though, I have to figure out how.

check out the ntsc-vcr shader to go along with the ffmpeg core. :wink:

You can also just go to ‘load content’ and point to a video file and it will load it directly, since the ffmpeg core is baked into RetroArch itself (as is the imageviewer core, so you can load jpg/png/non-animated gifs, etc. directly).

I’m having fun watching some stuff here, I used the crt geom to fit the overlay, but I’ll try that ntsc-vcr you mentioned.

This is all I wanted, you already knew I loved Retroarch, but this is something else!!!

How could I not know this?

Hunter, how can I load subtitles?

1 Like

As long as you have the libass.dll library, it should be able to handle them automatically. I’ll look into it.

Man this is awesome! I never thought about this type of video handling through RA. Beautiful :smiley:

I have a libass-5.dll, the subtitles aren’t showing, apart of that I’m amazed I can play videos using shaders and overlays!

Early Edition is amazing!

1 Like

Haha you detected it by those credits, this is amazing!

Edit: I’m going to ask in the feature request thread to add a simple GUI for playback, pause/play, and a resume playback feature, for some reason, Kodi can’t remember where an external player stopped the video at, and then resuming via Retroarch can solve that.

Hey, this is pretty damn interesting.

I normally use HyperSpin, but I might look into this Kodi thing if I can tie it itself into HyperSpin.

This might be the push I needed to chronicle all my shows Digitally on an HDD.

especially for some of those 90 shows you can’t buy, like the Drew Carey show.

Where can we go and ask for this?

All we need is subtitles (.SRT) support and maybe (just maybe) a simple [PLAY - STOP - PAUSE - PREV - NEXT] GUI

:blush:

Yeah, I though all subtitles in the world were srt cause everything I got comes with this extension, it shouldn’t be hard for the dev to add it though, the simple pause/play/resume features also seem easily doable by the same magic hands behind Retroarch.

Answering your post above, I’ll make a really simple guide on how to add Retroarch to Kodi soon in the Guides section, and yes Kodi under Hyperspin is just as easy to do, basically a PC Launch exe.

Looking in the ‘controls’ core input remapping menu, I see that the dpad is mapped to: up = skip ahead 60 seconds down = skip back 60 seconds right = skip ahead 10 seconds left = skip back 10 seconds and the shoulder buttons do: L-shoulder = cycle audio tracks R-shoulder = cycle subtitle tracks (this doesn’t appear to be working right now…)

1 Like

Nice, hotkeys would do just fine for now.

We only need to check the subtitles stuff :relieved:

Hello everyone, i’m very impressed by this stuff since I want to make a smilimar project for old 4:3 videos.

I would like to add a tv overlay image on it, via retroarch, as an external player in kodi.

I’m on an android box (himedia q10), and I have manage to modify the playercorefactory.xml, but nothing happen, and worse of all, kodi crashes :zipper_mouth_face:

Can you help me please ?