RetroArch Windows 7 compatability issues don't make sense

I really need some help with retro arch. I am running windows 7 64 bit and i downloaded the 64 bit version of RetroArch from the liberto/Retroarch website.

When i try to run RetroArch it brings up an error message.

“The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you’re running. Check your computer’s system information to see whether you need an x86 (32bit) or x64 (64bit) version of the program and then contact the software publisher.”

I am sure I am running 64 bit… Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

I tried installing directx 9, the web installer said i had a newer version installed so installation wasn’t necessary,

I’m pullin’ my hair out here, I read through a lot of posts before posting, and couldn’t find anything or a way to make my own thread, please forgive me once again.

Hmm, this comes up sometimes. Does the 32-bit version work okay?

Thank you for replying, I’ve been messing with this for about 5 days with nobody to ask about it and I had started to feel like that woman at the beginning of jaws, or the guy in open water.

I had that idea, thought it might work so I downloaded the 32 bit as well and it gives the same error when I try it.

ok, i think the next thing to try would be the MSVC build. You can get it from the download page. It’s labeled “Windows XP and up”

Thank you for the suggestion!

I think I might have solved my problem. For anyone else that might have this problem in the future I was using a program called allzip to unzip the retroarch file. This last time I tried winrar instead and it seems to have worked. Maybe Allzip has a problem reading .7z files, I have no idea, but the 64 bit version for win 7,8, 10 is now working. Thank you for your replies and help sir.

1 Like

Install 7zip for 7z files.
If you try it with Dolphin compressed archives you’ll see by how much it is faster.

1 Like