RetroArch with Vulkan won't launch from Steam

I built RetroArch with Vulkan and set the video driver to Vulkan. It launches from the command line and works great. But if I try to launch it from Steam, it won’t launch.

This all I see in the terminal:

Game update: AppID 0 "retroarch", ProcID 26717, IP 0.0.0.0:0
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/dugan/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/dugan/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
Game removed: AppID 0 "retroarch", ProcID 26717

It looks like an issue with the overlay, but if I disable the overlay and try again, the same thing happens. Not being able to use the overlay would be a dealbreaker anyway, as I’m using a Steam Controller.

How might I go about debugging this?

I tried copying /etc/vulkan to /usr/share. That didn’t make a difference either.

I’m using an Nvidia GTX 970 with version 367.44 of the official drivers.

Did you look at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=209878 ?

I just did.

He was having issues with an Optimus card (which I’m not using), and he wasn’t using Vulkan. The fix he ended up with was Optimus-specific. I’m not seeing the relevance here.

The ‘wrong elfclass’ thing suggests it’s having a problem launching 64-bit RetroArch inside/alongside 32-bit Steam. You could try installing an i386 build of RetroArch and see if that acts any better. You might try the appimage build to avoid muddying up your system with a bunch of 32-bit dependencies.

I just tried again, and it works fine now.