RetroArch won't run, any suggestions?

I’ve searched through previous threads and I haven’t found anything that has helped me so I figured I might as well make my own before I give up all together.

Here are my specs (I know they’re shit): Windows 10 AMD Athlon x2 250 Processor 3.00 GHz RAM: 4GB 64 bit 1TB HD

I have updated my driver’s all the way and reinstalled RetroArch (multiple times/versions) but it will never even open. I get the retroarch.exe has stopped working every time, and I also get that message with the retroarchdebug.exe

Steam games run fine btw, I’m not sure what the problem could be unless I need a more powerful processor even open Retro? Any suggestions would be appreciated…

Your processor should be fine but your GPU might be causing problems. If you could try running it through gdb (a free debugger), it would give us more indication of why it’s crashing. Instructions for doing so are in this post: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5114&p=34581&viewfull=1#post34581

[QUOTE=hunterk;36595]Your processor should be fine but your GPU might be causing problems. If you could try running it through gdb (a free debugger), it would give us more indication of why it’s crashing. Instructions for doing so are in this post: http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5114&p=34581&viewfull=1#post34581[/QUOTE]

I should say that I have a basic gpu. What would the recommended gpu be for running RetroArch? I’m trying to build up my pc and buying a GeFroce GTX 750 Ti, I couldn’t run bdg but would one assume that this would fix my problem?

It’ll run fine on any modern GPU and can be coaxed into running on most old crummy ones, with a little work. Running through gdb wouldn’t fix anything but it would give us an indication of what’s actually going wrong. Before fooling with it, though, can you shift+right-click in your retroarch folder and ‘open command window here’ and then type into that window: retroarch_debug.exe --menu --verbose and then if it prints any stuff to the window there, copy/paste it somewhere like pastebin and then give us the link.

This might work.

Find “retroarch.cfg” in your retroarch folder, open it up with a text program (lets say Notepad), and hit Ctrl+F.

Next, type in “menu” and hit “Next” until you find the entry in the .cfg file for “menu driver.”

In the quotes, change what I’m betting says “xmb” to “rgui” and then save the .cfg file.

Try restarting retroarch. It will look weird; this is because I don’t think your graphics card can run the XMB menu.

[QUOTE=hunterk;36602]It’ll run fine on any modern GPU and can be coaxed into running on most old crummy ones, with a little work. Running through gdb wouldn’t fix anything but it would give us an indication of what’s actually going wrong. Before fooling with it, though, can you shift+right-click in your retroarch folder and ‘open command window here’ and then type into that window: retroarch_debug.exe --menu --verbose and then if it prints any stuff to the window there, copy/paste it somewhere like pastebin and then give us the link.[/QUOTE]

http://pastebin.com/zKgFZ1Hb

I’m guessing that I’m either missing a file or something is not directed right?

[QUOTE=Spooniest;36607]This might work.

Find “retroarch.cfg” in your retroarch folder, open it up with a text program (lets say Notepad), and hit Ctrl+F.

Next, type in “menu” and hit “Next” until you find the entry in the .cfg file for “menu driver.”

In the quotes, change what I’m betting says “xmb” to “rgui” and then save the .cfg file.

Try restarting retroarch. It will look weird; this is because I don’t think your graphics card can run the XMB menu.[/QUOTE]

I did that and it was actually already set to rgui, I tried switching to xmb but it did the same thing.

Look for video_driver in retroarch.cfg file and change it from “gl” to “d3d”. It might work.

That actually worked so I can open up the menu, and I have retroDrop installed and all of the cores and such, I tried to run Pokemon Stadium 2 but then it instantly crashes here is the log:

http://pastebin.com/54AWtKzN

Any thing I’m doing wrong? I feel like it’s probably something super obvious.

mupen and ppsspp (maybe a few others, i forget) can’t work with d3d video driver because they are “libretro-gl” cores.

Ok, is there anyway to get around this? Or something to change so I can run Retro set to gl?

Have you made sure your GPU driver is the newest available from the manufacturer’s website (that is, not from Windows Update)?

You can set “video driver” to “gl” and everything should work if you have the latest driver for your video card. The Direct3D driver in RetroArch is very limited compared to the OpenGL driver in many ways and video card vendor support has improved greatly for OpenGL in the past few years.