Rom Launches in MAMEui Crashes in MAME Core

I’ve run into a rom (Bosconian) that will launch in MAMEui, but not in the MAME (current) core. I’ve checked the rom in Romcenter. Is the core on a different database version? If so, what version should I be using? Is there some other reason it wouldn’t launch in the MAME core? Thanks for the help.

We would need to see a log of it failing to load to even guess.

I just ran the log, and it looks like it’s saying there’s a problem with the rom, but it’s running in MAMEui, which caused me to question if the database versions would be different.

[libretro ERROR] bos5_1.3p NOT FOUND (tried in bosco)
bos5_2.3m NOT FOUND (tried in bosco)
bos5_3.2m NOT FOUND (tried in bosco)
bos5_4.2l NOT FOUND (tried in bosco)
bos5_5.3f NOT FOUND (tried in bosco)
bos5_6.3j NOT FOUND (tried in bosco)
bos1-4.2r ROM NEEDS REDUMP
bos1-6.6b ROM NEEDS REDUMP
bos1-5.4m ROM NEEDS REDUMP
bos1-3.2d ROM NEEDS REDUMP
bos1-7.7h ROM NEEDS REDUMP
bos1-1.1d ROM NEEDS REDUMP
bos1-2.5c ROM NEEDS REDUMP
[libretro ERROR] Fatal error: Required files are missing, the machine cannot be run.
[libretro INFO] RES:2

yep, sure looks like the wrong ROM for the core version. It should be based on 0249

1 Like

Thanks. I didn’t realize they made any recent changes to those old games. I think my MAMEui is on .247. Will have to get everything updated. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Does the MAME current core require a merged set?

No, RetroArch doesn’t really handle merged sets very well. You have to use/generate dummy files to load the various child ROMs: How to play clones of merged MAME ROMs?

1 Like

Hmm… ok, I have a split set. I’ll have to check this again.

What about a bios directory? I noticed it’s not defined in the .ini. Can I just add system/bios? (right now I just have the bios files in the game directory. It seemed like that was working until now).

AFAIK, MAME won’t be able to find them in the system dir, only by putting the ROMs together. FBNeo will find them in either place.

1 Like

This turns out to be Launchbox importing a non-working version when making a MAME set. Luckily, I did have a split set and I’ve got it re-directed to a working version. Will remember this for future reference. Thanks again for the help.

1 Like