Rom Scanning Tool for Windows

I’ve uploaded a new version, the issues should be fixed.

The new version is really nice. Though,

It’s pulling the wrong thumbnail art and naming playlist entries wrongly. For example, Final Fantasy V Advance is being named Final Fantasy VI Advance while Final Fantasy VI Advance is being named as Final Fantasy I, II Advance. In addition to those two Golden Sun is being named Golden Sun - L’Era Perduta and Golden Sun - The Lost Age is simply being named Golden Sun. All of this happens despite correctly choosing the right name and region when prompted.

Files names:

Nintendo - Game Boy Advance

[ul] [li]Golden Sun.gba -Listed as Golden Sun - L’Era Perduta[/li][li]Golden Sun - The Lost Age.gba - Listed as Golden Sun[/li][li]Final Fantasy VI Advance.gba -Listed as Final Fantasy I, II Advance[/li][li]Final Fantasy V Advance.gba -Listed as Final Fantasy VI Advance[/li][/ul]

Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System

[ul] [li]Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy’s Kong Quest.sfc -Listed as Donkey Kong Country 3 - Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble![/li][li]Donkey Kong Country 3 - Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble!.sfc - Listed as Doom[/li][li]Seiken Densetsu 3.sfc -Listed as Seiken Densetsu 2[/li][li]Super Metroid.sfc -Listed as Super Mahjong 2 - Honkaku 4-nin Uchi! (When (Japan, USA) version selected) Listed as Super Mahjong when (Europe) version selected[/li][/ul]

Also some simply do not get named in the playlist which causes a crash when selecting a playlist inside Retroarch. Sometimes the entry is completely omitted.

[QUOTE=Axiphel;40152]The new version is really nice. Though,

It’s pulling the wrong thumbnail art and naming playlist entries wrongly. For example, Final Fantasy V Advance is being named Final Fantasy VI Advance while Final Fantasy VI Advance is being named as Final Fantasy I, II Advance. In addition to those two Golden Sun is being named Golden Sun - L’Era Perduta and Golden Sun - The Lost Age is simply being named Golden Sun. All of this happens despite correctly choosing the right name and region when prompted.

Files names:

Nintendo - Game Boy Advance

[ul] [li]Golden Sun.gba -Listed as Golden Sun - L’Era Perduta[/li][li]Golden Sun - The Lost Age.gba - Listed as Golden Sun[/li][li]Final Fantasy VI Advance.gba -Listed as Final Fantasy I, II Advance[/li][li]Final Fantasy V Advance.gba -Listed as Final Fantasy VI Advance[/li][/ul]

Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System

[ul] [li]Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy’s Kong Quest.sfc -Listed as Donkey Kong Country 3 - Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble![/li][li]Donkey Kong Country 3 - Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble!.sfc - Listed as Doom[/li][li]Seiken Densetsu 3.sfc -Listed as Seiken Densetsu 2[/li][li]Super Metroid.sfc -Listed as Super Mahjong 2 - Honkaku 4-nin Uchi! (When (Japan, USA) version selected) Listed as Super Mahjong when (Europe) version selected[/li][/ul]

Also some simply do not get named in the playlist which causes a crash when selecting a playlist inside Retroarch. Sometimes the entry is completely omitted.[/QUOTE]

The names should work properly now, there was a small bug in my program.

When you say the entry is completely omitted in the playlist, could you give me a filename example that does that?

[QUOTE=RandomRAUser;40163]The names should work properly now, there was a small bug in my program.

When you say the entry is completely omitted in the playlist, could you give me a filename example that does that?[/QUOTE]

Terranigma.sfc for example. On one scan it could be in the playlist fully working. Then another scan it could be in the playlist and the name portion is missing while all the other information is there. Other times it’s not there at all. There are also others I’ve noticed too.

Also some of the names are still getting mixed up. Donkey Kong Country 3 is still being listed as Doom and Donkey Kong 2 is still being listed as Donkey Kong Country 3.

[QUOTE=Axiphel;40165]Terranigma.sfc for example. On one scan it could be in the playlist fully working. Then another scan it could be in the playlist and the name portion is missing while all the other information is there. Other times it’s not there at all. There are also others I’ve noticed too.

Also some of the names are still getting mixed up. Donkey Kong Country 3 is still being listed as Doom and Donkey Kong 2 is still being listed as Donkey Kong Country 3.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for testing, I’ll look into this shortly

[QUOTE=Axiphel;40165]Terranigma.sfc for example. On one scan it could be in the playlist fully working. Then another scan it could be in the playlist and the name portion is missing while all the other information is there. Other times it’s not there at all. There are also others I’ve noticed too.

Also some of the names are still getting mixed up. Donkey Kong Country 3 is still being listed as Doom and Donkey Kong 2 is still being listed as Donkey Kong Country 3.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I can’t reproduce these issues. Did you already re-download my program and scan again? This is the result when I scan and select the titles, everything is working and matching whatever selection I choose:

Is the scanning tool popping up with selections for all these titles when you scan? If it doesn’t, then it detected either 1) an exact matching md5 checksum or 2) an exact filename

[QUOTE=RandomRAUser;40168]Hmm, I can’t reproduce these issues. Did you already re-download my program and scan again? This is the result when I scan and select the titles, everything is working and matching whatever selection I choose:

Is the scanning tool popping up with selections for all these titles when you scan? If it doesn’t, then it detected either 1) an exact matching md5 checksum or 2) an exact filename[/QUOTE]

Yah I redownloaded and rescanned. I checked the md5 of my files and they match with the database but the crc in the playlist is different. They don’t prompt for a selection

C:\Users\Brandon\Google Drive\Retroarch 1.3.4\roms\SNES\Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest.sfc
Donkey Kong Country 3 - Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
C:\Users\Brandon\Google Drive\Retroarch 1.3.4\cores\bsnes_accuracy_libretro.dll
bsnes UE
0551FE84|crc
Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System.lpl
C:\Users\Brandon\Google Drive\Retroarch 1.3.4\roms\SNES\Donkey Kong Country 3 - Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!.sfc
Doom
bsnes UE
360243E4|crc

[QUOTE=Axiphel;40169]Yah I redownloaded and rescanned. I checked the md5 of my files and they match with the database but the crc in the playlist is different. They don’t prompt for a selection

C:\Users\Brandon\Google Drive\Retroarch 1.3.4\roms\SNES\Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest.sfc
Donkey Kong Country 3 - Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
bsnes UE
0551FE84|crc
C:\Users\Brandon\Google Drive\Retroarch 1.3.4\roms\SNES\Donkey Kong Country 3 - Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!.sfc
Doom
bsnes UE
360243E4|crc

[/QUOTE]

Ah, the issue then is with the MD5 checking algorithm, meaning I’ll have to find these actual roms and see where the problem resides. I’ll try to get it fixed within the next day or so. Thanks

I’ve fixed the scanning algorithms, please test and let me know of any issues.

Works much better. Haven’t had any issues with scanning at all so far. Really like the setting to remove country from the playlist names.

love the boxart feature. very cool.

I can’t choose ROM folder to scan.

[QUOTE=Great Dragon;40437]I can’t choose ROM folder to scan.
[/QUOTE]

You need to select the base Directory for the Roms under the Directories menu.

Thanks. I thought it is for ROM data base of RetroArch.

Is it supposed to delete any existing thumbnails, even with the “delete existing thumbnails when rescanning” option turned off? Just asking because I use pictures that I find for romhacks, which obviously don’t have any thumbnails in the database. When I scanned my snes roms, I noticed that all of the images I used as cover art for romhacks were deleted.

The “delete existing thumbnails” option will delete the directory before scanning. The current behavior, when a thumb is found in the DB, it will overwrite the file if it exists. I can add an option to prompt when a file exists. I’ll look at doing this within the next couple days.

Some very minor annoyances I’ve found. When I select a folder with Game Boy games (.gb file) it auto fills the Database to Nintendo - Gameboy Advance, auto selects mgba core and auto fills the Extensions to .gba.

When I selected the Game Boy Color folder it auto fills everything correctly except it auto detects mgba as the core.

Some other game systems get partially filled or not at all, but whatever. Do you think it would be possible to have a way to save a manual configuration for each rom directory so it doesn’t have to auto detect core, database, or extensions?

Creating a Virtual Boy playlist with Waterworld [U] [!] causes the emulator to crash.

Leaves a blank line in the entry for the title:

Z:\VB\Waterworld (U) [!].vb

DETECT DETECT 0|crc

Changing it to:

Z:\VB\Waterworld (U) [!].vb Waterworld (U) [!] DETECT DETECT 0|crc

for example fixes the crashing. Any text would work just need something there instead of blank line.

Also the CRC isn’t detected properly. Shows as 0 instead of 82A95E51.

Updated. Added manual configuration for each rom directory, optional prompting before overwriting thumbs, experimental Kodi Advanced Launcher xml generator.

These all seem to work, but I don’t have time to test it thoroughly.

[QUOTE=V3nd;41443]Creating a Virtual Boy playlist with Waterworld [U] [!] causes the emulator to crash.

Leaves a blank line in the entry for the title:

Z:\VB\Waterworld (U) [!].vb

DETECT DETECT 0|crc

Changing it to:

Z:\VB\Waterworld (U) [!].vb Waterworld (U) [!] DETECT DETECT 0|crc

for example fixes the crashing. Any text would work just need something there instead of blank line.

Also the CRC isn’t detected properly. Shows as 0 instead of 82A95E51.[/QUOTE]

I will take a look at this, thank you.