Rom Scanning Tool for Windows

[QUOTE=V3nd;41443]Creating a Virtual Boy playlist with Waterworld [U] [!] causes the emulator to crash.

Leaves a blank line in the entry for the title:

Z:\VB\Waterworld (U) [!].vb

DETECT DETECT 0|crc

Changing it to:

Z:\VB\Waterworld (U) [!].vb Waterworld (U) [!] DETECT DETECT 0|crc

for example fixes the crashing. Any text would work just need something there instead of blank line.

Also the CRC isn’t detected properly. Shows as 0 instead of 82A95E51.[/QUOTE]

First, are you using the latest version? What options do you have marked in the settings menu? I’ve tried scanning this ROM with name checking, MD5 checking, manual checking, it always generates properly. Possibly the database file didn’t download correctly. Try do delete the Databasefiles\Nintendo - Virtual Boy.dat file and try again.

Using 0.9. Far as the settings go I have the first 3 checked and then Use stripped country info and Prompt to rename files checked. Scan method is Scan non-exact matches directly to playlist. Checking Bypass MD5 checking does generate a title but the CRC is still listing as 0. Tried deleting .dat file and creating again with the same results.

Could you post or PM me a screenshot of your main menu and settings menu? There are so many options, perhaps one combination is not working properly. Also, if you aren’t using the newest version (0.94), please try that. Also, try deleting the settings.ini and starting anew.

Here’s the screens of my main window and settings.

The problem does seemed to be fixed in 0.94 though. Deleted the settings.ini and Selected RetroArch dir and Rom dir. Skipped thumbs and core dirs. Used default settings and just selected the same settings in the main window.

[QUOTE=RandomRAUser;41446]Updated. Added manual configuration for each rom directory, optional prompting before overwriting thumbs, experimental Kodi Advanced Launcher xml generator.

These all seem to work, but I don’t have time to test it thoroughly.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! The manual configuration is working great. The only hitch it has is that it doesn’t seem to support saving multiple file types. For example, for SNES it autofills .smc and .sfc initially but it only saves .smc because it appears first in the list.

Here is how it appears in the ini

D:\Retroarch 1.3.4\roms\SNES=bsnes_balanced_libretro|Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System|.smc
.sfc

[QUOTE=Axiphel;41458]Thanks! The manual configuration is working great. The only hitch it has is that it doesn’t seem to support saving multiple file types. For example, for SNES it autofills .smc and .sfc initially but it only saves .smc because it appears first in the list.

Here is how it appears in the ini

D:\Retroarch 1.3.4\roms\SNES=bsnes_balanced_libretro|Nintendo - Super Nintendo Entertainment System|.smc
.sfc

[/QUOTE]

Whoops, this should now be fixed, thanks

Is it possible to port this generator to android? It would be great to have something like this instead of manually writing the playlists.

I’m new to all of this so maybe I am missing it but I don’t see an option for the Atari 2600. Is it know by a different name?

The ADB tool from the Arcade Database is already set up to allow the user to select an arcade ROMs folder, select their version of MAME, and then pull down Snaps, Titles, and other ‘Extras.’ Maybe there’s a way to make use of this for your project.

Am I missing something or are there no Dreamcast and Saturn Databases?

There are no databases for these systems in the Retroarch repo, nor do I think retroarch supports these systems (yet)

[QUOTE=markwkidd;41869]The ADB tool from the Arcade Database is already set up to allow the user to select an arcade ROMs folder, select their version of MAME, and then pull down Snaps, Titles, and other ‘Extras.’ Maybe there’s a way to make use of this for your project.

http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/download.php[/QUOTE]

I may look into this in the future, thanks for the info.

[QUOTE=RandomRAUser;42228]There are no databases for these systems in the Retroarch repo, nor do I think retroarch supports these systems (yet) [/QUOTE]

RetroArch does support these systems, but it is true that there is no database for them yet.

Saturn (Yabuse core) also requires a BIOS file. I believe Dreamcast (Reicast core) requires BIOS files as well but I’m having trouble laying hands on that information.

Yes, sorry about the misinformation. I was confusing Dreamcast with Gamecube.

There are some new databases that could be added to this now. Like Mega-CD, Saturn, and Dreamcast.

Thanks for the heads up, I’ve added these.

This tool is amazing!

Ciao RandomRAUser, I’ve found this wonderful tool because I couldn’t be able to scan directories directly from Reroarch and generate playlists…

The tool works fine with unzipped roms, but I have some problem with zipped roms: some cores (i.e. gambatte) crash; others show black screen (bsnes mercury). I don’t know if this is a retroarch known problem, or if I’m doing something wrong…

BTW, If I manually modify lpl and add “#rom_name.ext” to rom path, it work fine

To clarify more, here is an example.

D:\ROMS\SNES\Kirby’s Dream Course (Europe).zip doesn’t work D:\ROMS\SNES\Kirby’s Dream Course (Europe).zip#Kirby’s Dream Course (Europe).sfc works fine.

Is it possible to add an option in RetroArch Playlist Generator to generate “Open archive as folder” rom paths for zipped roms?

Thank you in advance Luca

I haven’t had enough users request this to implement, and haven’t tried to use zips in Retroarch, but there are a few issues that I’d need to resolve before implementing this:

1. will the name inside the zip always be the same as the zip
  2. will the zip have to be parsed to find a proper rom extension

It is definitely doable, but because the user can just extract the single rom file, and nobody else has requested this, I’m not planning on implementing this currently.

This is a great tool, but the database information it draws from is quite restrictive. Would it be difficult to implement manually loading a CMPro DAT to cross check against? Also, when scanning say MESS softwarelists for the mame_libretro core, the shortname and descriptions are going to be different. For this reason, having an option to load the DAT into the program would allow for pulling readable RomNames for this core.

There was a script on here somewhere that managed to do exactly this, but I can’t find it anymore :frowning:

I can’t get this to work with anything but Playstation. Any other system can’t find matches for any of the roms.