RPCS3 with original Dualshock 3 Controllers

​Hello everyone,

over the last few years, I’ve been on a quest of collecting original controllers for various consoles to be able to play emulated games with them.

Currently I am facing a problem using RPCS3 with original Dualshock 3 Controllers. So here is what I did / tried:

1. I tried DSHidMini, which is almost perfect, but there seems to be a bug with the motion controlls. Here is a video showcasing what I am experiencing:
  • Apparently, the “G axis” does not work with original DS3 controllers (DS4 and DualSense or even Switch Pro Controllers work perfectly, by the way). I originally tried 2 original DS3 controlers with it and both have the same issue / bug with the G axis.
  • However, I recently bought a third DS3 controller and IT actually works . Now I don’t know if that last controller is a fake (doesn’t look like it, though) and therefore it works somehow or if this controller simply has a different firmware installed on it .
  • If so, I’d like to update the firmware of the other 2 controllers as well, but there seems to no way to do that on windows. Does anyone know if this is possible. I would very much like to update the DS3 using my PC .
  • If not, I am actually considereng buying a PS3 console just to update the controller firmware, buit I don’t even know if the PS3 actaully supported controller firmware updates. So my question is: Does anyone know if the controller formware could be updated on a PS3 console?
  1. I tried original Sony Drivers for Windows:
  • On these drivers, ALL controllers I tried have perfectly functioning Motion Controlls ( that’s how I know that my controllers aren’t broken, by the way ).
  • However, these drivers do NOT support Wireless functionality over Bluetooth
  • Also, These drivers are incompatible with certain Windows 11 security settings. I’d have to permanently disable the “Core Isolation” feature, which I don’t really want to do.

I’ve have since bought another DS3 controller andit ALSO has the issue with the broken G axis. That tells me that at least this is not an isolated issue. A lot of controllers seem to have this problem. I wonder if there is some way to figure out how to tell what controller will or won’t work

For more information on this issue, see here: https://github.com/RPCS3/rpcs3/issues/14220

tldr: I want to use Dualshock 3 Controllers on RPCS3, but the motion controlls don’t work on all of my original DS3 controllers. It might be a firmware issue, so I’d need some information on how to update the controller firmware on a Dualshock 3 controller.

Thx for all your input!

EDIT: Just to make sure that my PC config is not at fault, I tried all controllers on a separate PC and they show the exact same behavior. So it’s not my config that’s at fault, either.

EDIT 2: All devices show in DSHidMini as: USB\VID_054C&PID_0268\7&E523A19&0&3

There is no difference.

I’m not sure why you are asking this question here.

1 Like

To be fair, the RPCS3 support is basically nonexistent at their site, so he probably doesn’t know where to go, but yeah… this isn’t related to retroarch.

I was asking about another conroller a few day ago and so I just posted this question about the DS3 here as well, without realizing that, in fact, this topic has really no place here.

Sorry!

2 Likes

If you were trying to use the controller with Retroarch, and having issues, that would be different. :grin:

If you are using Linux need enable udev permissions for RPCS3 use the PS3 DS3 controller correctly.