Run ahead inconsitency (Input lag / Latency) - Kaizo Mario

Hey,

I have a problem with retroarch and the input lag settings.

I play Kaizo Mario World rom hacks a lot (on snes9x core) and since i have my newer computer I’m running into some problems when it comes to input lag.

I feel like it’s more noticeable when I did something else shorty before playing on retroarch (like playing some stuff on steam or something) I noticed the problem mostly disappears when i restart retroarch 2-3 times, which is kinda annoying though.

I have never had any problems on my older notebook.with the exact same settings. I’ve read that some people suggest that 3 frames of run ahead is unnecessary and won’t work.

TRUST ME: It does make a difference and 3 frames is Better than 2 frames, and as I said, I didnt have that issue on my old Notebook with those settings.

I pretty much tried everything: Changing v-sync, changing run ahead settings (both gpu and the run ahead frames). Everytime I feel like it’s consistent again, it proves me otherwise once I’ve done something else in the meantime.

I have a Intel Core i7-4790 with 8 GB RAM and SSD and a NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2060, so it should be good enough to run retroarch without issues. I already put the retroarch folder in the antivirus exception settings, but that did not help.

PLEASE REMEMBER: The settings for me are fine, I just want to make them consistent again. I tried getting the newest retroarch version, which didnt help either (same issue)

my settings on retroarch: https://easyupload.io/6bgf10

i thought the same like you but was teached something about the whole frame ahead thing…

it depends on the game , and it runs better this way trust me , some games didn´t even need this and if you set it too high you run into such inconsitency or even gameplay glitches and visual bugs (especially with Genesis Games)

i just share what i learned and prefer ^^ just becuase i also used 3 frames for mario world/ all other stuff at first

2 Likes

first of all:

PLEASE: LET’S NOT MAKE THIS A DISCUSSION ABOUT IF 2 OR 3 FRAMES IS BETTER. THATS NOT THE PROBLEM!

Ok, but please trust me on this: The 3 frame delay in my case is NOT the problem.sega genesis games is also NOT super mario world kaizo.

With 2 systems prior to that (2 notebooks with way worse specs) i had those 3 frames without issues.

Valdio, a well known name in the kaizo community, has a video on this topic and also recommends 3 frames of run ahead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hfJj_VtR6c&ab_channel=Valdio

the 3 frames are NOT the problem. I really hope anyone else have an idea what it could be.

btw: I tried 2. The only thing it did is gave me that extra frame of input lag. Trust me: in Kaizo Mario Games, you notice this 1 frame. same consistency issues.

In Super Mario World for snes, you can use at max 2 frames of run-ahead. More then 2 and you will encounter problems. this is not an opinion or preference: 3 or more frames of run-ahead in SMW will cause problems regardless of the system.

The only problem you’re gonna have is skipped frames on input. The amount of skipped frames will be equal to the amount of extra runahead frames you configured. That’s about it. It’s not like the game will break or anything.

2 Likes

oh be sure that some genesis game will freak out / break ^^

it’s so frustrating here that even I tried so hard to convince people about the 3 frames being NOT the problem the only “help” i get is people suggesting to put it back to 2.

Please read my opening post again.

and I DID SET IT TO 2 and had the SAME INCONSITENCY PROBLEMS, with more input lag than with 3 frames.

anyone here with some other suggestions?

i just say what my experience with that are ^^ don´t worry i had it on 3 for months in super mario world bevor i got depper in this topic and startet framecounting

Did you test other Polling Behavior settings ?

i have one controller that freaks a bit out if used on early another one is slighty more accurate on normal etc :thinking:

Check if you have auto frame delay on. try to disable it and set frame delay to 0. Also try 1 frame gpu hard sync, and keep 2 frames of run ahead with SMW. Also try second instance ON/OFF.

I understand your frustration but if you wan to troubleshoot, first thing is not to use clearly wrong settings (3 frames on SMW).

if there’s something inconsistent going on without changing anything in RetroArch, it’s probably not going to be fixed inside of RetroArch either. That is, there’s probably something going on externally, like driver/sync/power consumption stuff.

1 Like

yes, so thats what im thinking too. i troubleshooted so much within retroarch without results. as i said, the frame settings works fine for a lot of people including myself on my previous notebooks.

what external things could there be? i put it into the defender exception folder and even did a regedit-key so the retroarch priority is always set to high.

do you use a controller ? is the firmware etc. up to date ?

p3st i know you’re trying to be helpful, but this really hasnt helped at all. Nothing what you mentioned has anything to do woth my problem^^

i have the same original SNES-controller with an usb adapter for the last 3-4 years. this has NOTHING to do with the game having more input lag.

sry , sometimes its the small things thats overseen :laughing:

Unfortunately, a lot of this stuff is kinda voodoo. I will say: d3d11 video driver is usually the most optimized and consistent in Windows and plays nicer with fullscreen, etc. If you’re not using it, I would suggest trying it to see if it helps at all.

i play with that plugin and on full screen.

1 Like

I tried SMW with 3 frames of run-ahead, as expected, on jumping mario lose 1 frame of animation. This obviously makes 3 frames, not just bad, but also not legit for speedruns. Also the game sometimes seems funky with the inputs and frame pacing. Maybe you have some other problems as well but for sure 3 frames cause some kind of “instability”.

1 Like

did you read my opening post?

check out the video from valdio. plenty of people use 3 frames without issues, including me on my old notebooks.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hfJj_VtR6c&ab_channel=Valdio

i guess none of you guys played kaizo mario world hacks, so it makes a huge difference wether you just play mario world or those tight kaizo hacks.

Does anyone have any ideas that are not switching back to 2 frames (which I already said around 10 times, did NOT fix the problem)?

The guy in the video is wrong, some people in the comment also told him. 3 frames in SMW are not correct, is not my opinion that’s how it is.

Untitled

As you can see with 3 frames of run-ahed you are not shaving frames of lag but a frame of actual animation.

4 Likes

And, of course, this will improve your performance on twitchy stuff because it’s compensating for latency from any source, including LEBKAC sources :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes