Run custom program/command via hotkey

It could be super handy to be able to execute custom commands by triggering them via hotkeys.

For instance, I often switch between audio output on my laptop speaker and USB headphones. With a Linux CLI command I can do that, but I have to reach out for the keyboard to apply it. With such a feature I could simply hit hotkey+whatever and get the audio to my headset, and hotkey+whateverelse to get it back to the speakers when wife leaves lol.

The possibilities are actually endless. For instance, disable the screen saver timeout, enable/disable the VPN (to get better performances with netplay) and the like.

Yeah, this would be very powerful, but also potentially very dangerous. I don’t imagine we’ll add such a thing any time soon.

For the record, I appreciate your ideas and suggestions. The last few have been ones that I don’t think we’ll be able to follow through with, but I’m glad you’re taking the time and interest to make them :slight_smile:

1 Like

I use AutoHotkey with Windows for similar things that are out of scope for RA.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your kind words.

I am just enjoying retroarch tremendously and sometimes I think about how I could enjoy it even more, so I just… ask. :slight_smile:

1 Like