Run Neo Geo in MAME

Hello. Most games I have tried seem to work but I can’t get any of the neo geo games to work in retroarch. Games like Shocktroopers and King Of Fighters. I’ve tried “MAME” and “MAME 2003”. When it boots up it says game successfully loaded then it gets to about 65% and gets stuck.

EDITED to remove piracy talk. It’s against the forum rules.

You can’t just put random arcade ROMs with random arcade cores and expect it to work. You need ROMs that match the version of the core you’re using. If you have ROMs for FBA v0.2.97.44, look for ROMs from that set. If you have MAME v0.078, use ROMs from that set. Otherwise, they might work, but probably will not.

If you get an older MAME set of ROMS and try to run the newest MAME, is it backwards compatible?

If they are not backwards compatible. What version of ROMS do we need to get for the plane “mame” in retroarch to run?

No, MAME is constantly updating their ROMs, that’s why you need them to match the version.

The MAME core with no year after it is up-to-date with standalone MAME, so whatever version it’s on.

Thank you for all of the help. I’m reading the current version of MAME is .209. The newest rom set I can find is .202. Is there a .202 compatible retroarch MAME I can use?

That’s close enough for most games to work.

Awesome! Once I get things to work how can I prevent retroarch from downloading an updated MAME and breaking my romset?

just don’t download a new one from the online updater. RetroArch doesn’t update anything automatically.

Also, FYI, since you’re wanting to play NeoGeo, you need to put the neogeo.zip from the same ROM set alongside (i.e., in the same directory as) your NeoGeo games.