Running CD-I in MESS through Retroarch

I been seeing several posts lately that CD-I can be run through the MESS core in Retroarch, and it tickled my nostalgic bone since I was one of the few who had this thing.

Following the few guides out there though, RetroArch still just crashes when I try to run the games. I have my cdimono1.zip in system/mess Got my CD-I CHD since mess prefers that. Running the games however, results in a crash right way. Any idea how to get these “games” working?

This is the extent of the documentation AFAIK: http://www.libretro.com/index.php/mamemessume-cores/

make sure you have softlist roms.

OOf, that seems a bit more complicated than my abilites. Hopefully there’ll be some progress on CD-I stuff sometime, English is not my first language so these guides are tough on the brain.

I’ve been playing with exactly the same thing for a few days now but finally cracked it. I have CDi games playing in retroarch (on Windows at least I’ve yet to try on linux but that will be my next port of call).

Here is the command line I use:- Path to Retroarch Folder\retroarch.exe “cdimono1 -rompath “path to retroarch folder\system\mess” -cdrm “Hotel Mario.chd”” -L path to retroarch folder\cores\mess_libretro.dll cdimono1 bios must be in your system\mess folder and zipped, hash/xml files must be in system\mess\hash. CD isos must be in chd format use chdman.exe to convert cue to chd.

Any further help needed please message me.

Enjoy!!

Sadly I am not able to make it work. Here is the commandline I try to use:

C:\Users\zalos.emulationstation\retroarch\retroarch.exe "cdimono1 -rompath “C:\Users\zalos.emulationstation\retroarch\system\mess” -cdrm “E:\Games\Roms\cdi\hotel mario (1994)(philips)(us)[!].chd” -L C:\Users\zalos.emulationstation\retroarch\cores\mess_libretro.dll

bios is in system/mess in a zip, hash is in system/mess/hash

I’m having problems too.

I’m using a Shield Android TV and so far I have had succes using the MAME core to emulate Atari 5200, Intellivision and Amstrad GX4000 systems, but I can’t get the CD-i to work.

I have tried a number of different bios-files in a number of different folders, but RetroAarch crashes every time.

What’s the correct folder structure for the chd-files?

PS. (Can’t get BBC micro or Amstrad CPC to work either by the way, so if anyone knows how to sort that out, please tell) :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=kasperkaal;34114]I’m having problems too.

I’m using a Shield Android TV and so far I have had succes using the MAME core to emulate Atari 5200, Intellivision and Amstrad GX4000 systems, but I can’t get the CD-i to work.

I have tried a number of different bios-files in a number of different folders, but RetroAarch crashes every time.

What’s the correct folder structure for the chd-files?

PS. (Can’t get BBC micro or Amstrad CPC to work either by the way, so if anyone knows how to sort that out, please tell) :)[/QUOTE]

AFAIK the version of MAME included with RA for Android doesn’t support cd-i :frowning:

Is there any other way to play cd-i games on Android?

Sadly, I never got this to work on Windows :frowning:

I got it working in Linux. It is not pretty, but it is working through the normal RetroArch GUI.

First of all, I installed retroarch and placed the “hash” Folder from MAME in the system/mame Folder. I also have the “cdi200.rom cdi220b.rom cdimono1.zip” files there but I do not know if they are used.

In my ROMs Folder I have a folder named “cdimono1”. In that folder I have the cdimono1.zip (BIOS files). Also in this folder are the games. For example Hotel Mario:

hotel mario (1994)(philips)(eu)[!].chd

Know I created a symbolic link to that file named “hotmario.chd”. I did not test it with an empty file but should work too. Again:

ROMs/cdimono1/cdimono1.zip ROMs/cdimono1/hotel mario (1994)(philips)(eu)[!].chd ROMs/cdimono1/hotmario.chd

Names are very important here. The filenames are from the XML files inside the mame/hash folder.

Now I start RetroArch and enable the MAME Core. As for the content I choose the “hotmario.chd” file. Now the MAME cdi system starts and I can start the game.

Which MAME core did you use?

I am just confused because there is mess2014 and mame2014 - I assumed that the mame2014 core does not include MESS…

Edit: ah, there is also just the “MAME” core (which is like 200mb, looks like this is recent)

Thanks - worked for me too!

Note - I did not need to put any roms into the system/mame folder.

Also - I can’t get past the Philips menu! How did you map to the button for that?

I think the R1 or R2 Trigger does a mouse click, but I hardly remember that. I can check it when I am at home. I am using a Sony Playstation DualShock 4 Controller here with the Standard RetroArch Layout.

You should be able to move the mouse and then one of the buttons does something :smiley: Be prepared for long loading times.

Has anyone got a definitive set of instructions for this on a retropie.? I have tried every possible combination I can think of. Made chd files from the bin, made symlinks installed lr-mess put the chd link and cdimono1 into a cdimono1 file, added to es_config added to the core settings about softlists etc… updated the hash file so the sha1 code matches the sha1sum of the chd… And still kicks me back to the emulation station launcher… Any help would be really welcome. Cheers