Running Elite (NES, 1984/1991) through RetroArch

For some reason I am determined to get the OG Elite game running on a Windows 7 system, and the “best” way I’ve determined is to emulate the NES version. Luckily the game’s co-creator has made ROMs for various versions available on his own personal website.

However, for running the NES ROM he suggest changing a few settings on your emulator. Most specifically he suggests setting the “Palette” to PAL, and I don’t know how to do that on RetroArch. There are some other settings he suggests like “Update: x1 Frames; VBlank x310 lines; HBlank x115 Cycles,” but I have no idea if you can even do that through RetroArch.

I don’t know of any emulators that expose all of those things through a GUI and/or cfg files, but you should be able to make it happen via modifications to the source code, whether you use a libretro core or a standalone.

Wow.

Actually I figured out the only thing I really need to do is somehow set an emulator to PAL mode (I think I have to change the palette, not the frequency). An emulator called iNES has the ability to do this but I don’t know of any iNES core for RetroArch.