Saving & Auto-Loading Per-Game Overrides (for Overlays & Shaders)

TL;DR: How can I save game-specific overrides via RGUI on Windows? What is the proper folder name for the MAME 2014 core I should use in :/config/ to put my per-game .cfg files?

Hey there, fellow RA enthusiasts!

My first post here on the forums, and I just wanted to say that I absolutely love RetroArch. Pardon the pun, but it’s a real game-changer! (snicker)

Anyway, I’ve been reading tons and tons of threads and beating my head against a wall trying to figure out how to both save & automatically load game-specific override configurations to adjust video, shader, and overlay settings in RetroArch.

I’m currently using RetroArch the Jul 17th build (Git ver. 218d6f5) on Windows 10. I’m specifically using the MAME 2014 core and trying to get it to work with the incredible Arcade Overlays John.Merrit made

In that thread, there’s a link to a Git repo that contains all the images and some auto-configs created by Floob. However, the pathing & some of the naming is geared toward RetroPie/*nix and is wrong for Windows.

For example, I’ve tried updating 1943.zip.cfg to the following:

video_shader = ":\shaders\1943.cgp"
video_shader_enable = "true"

input_overlay = ":\overlays\borders\Final_Arcade_1943.cfg"
input_overlay_enable = true
input_overlay_opacity = 0.850000
input_overlay_scale = 1.000000

custom_viewport_width = "750"
custom_viewport_height = "1000"
custom_viewport_x = "585"
custom_viewport_y = "50"

aspect_ratio_index = "22"

video_scale_integer = false

(As a sidenote, does my path syntax appear correct?)

This currently resides in :/config/mame/ but does not load. Under Settings ► Configuration, I have everything ON except Configuration Per-Core. From what I’ve read, this should load the per-game override configs automatically, but I’m thinking my directory naming convention might be wrong for the MAME 2014 core.

Can anyone please confirm the correct pathing for per-game overrides on Windows for MAME 2014? And how to save per-game settings within RGUI if I make any tweaks there?

Thanks for your help, folks! -Mike

I think you need to name your config folder Mame 2014. (or MAME 2014 (0.159) ?)

I’m not sure if you need the “.zip” in the rom cfg.

If you still have “Configuration Per-Core” you should perhaps update Retroarch as it has been removed a while back with additional options to make your per-game cfg automatically (at least a bit).