Scale the screen using error diffusion algorithm?

Hi, I was playing a few old games and I found some were using dithering for playback FMV videos at fullscreen, and It’s an interesting effect, actually…

I’d like to know if this can be done in RetroArch by means of a Video Filter. I want to get something similar to the following image: http://prnt.sc/ds0efl

P.S.: Maybe we can get a lot more of combinations by mixing Shaders and this type of scaling method.

Thx!

I made a slang shader that does something similar:

Does it make a huge impact on the performance? Or maybe improves it, actually, because of the lower color depth?

No, it still puts out the same color depth and then the shader drops it in post, so no gains. It’s just a postproc effect.

Of course that has a lot of sense… Sorry, I forgot we were not discussing Renderers and Video modes, but Post-FX.

Btw, What’s the current difference between RA’s Video Filter (located at the Video Driver option) and Shaders? Looks a bit confusing to me having 3 different ways to add an effect…

The filters are CPU-based and the shaders are GPU-based. There’s not much reason to use filters on a PC. They’re mostly just for platforms that can’t use shaders for whatever reason (e.g., some consoles, old PCs with weak or non-existent GPUs).