Scanning NeoGeo AVS/MVS

I am stuck at home (like everyone else right now) thought I would try and get this working again. I am trying to get this working on a PS3. I have a ROM pack with 268 .zip files that is ~3.5GB.

In my retroarch on the PS3 I have headers like NES, SNES, 2600 etc. I also have one header called MAME. When I use playlist buddy or RA scan option then RA defaults to open these .zip files with a name emulator because (I guess) it’s registering these things as stand up arcade games. The neogeo ROMs are lost in with the hundreds of arcade ROMs.

Is there a way to seperate the AES or MVS (I don’t care which one) from the mame emulator? For my NES I have an icon of a little NES same as genesis, I have a genesis icon and under that I have all my ROMs and box art. Is it possible to get a neogeo icon? With all my box arts, that is stand alone like the rest of the consoles?

Oops my post got flagged and I am not sure why. I will try to reword it so it does not happen again. I have neo geo ROMs that I would like to play but the problem is that when I scan or make a list it throws all the neo geo stuff in with the name ROMs. I have 2000 name ROMs and around 200 neo geo ROMs so they are kinda lost. My NES and SNES have their own little console icon with all the thumbnails underneath the console icon.

How do I get my neo geo set to look like the NES or SNES sets? I don’t really care if they open as MVS or AES.

I think it was because it was off-topic for the thread. I’ve moved it into its own thread now.

Unfortunately, I don’t know much about the playlists/scanning, so I don’t have a great answer for you. I know the manual scanning works well and you can supply a neogeo DAT from FBNeo, but I’m pretty sure manual scanning is broken on PS3 right now (along with regular scanning).

That’s the reason for the flagging : don’t request roms, it’s against forum rules, thanks.

1 Like

well the scanning shouldn’t be a problem, i have RA on my PC and i also have playlist buddy. i just need to associate the Neogeo roms to an icon and have all the thumbnails separated

anybody? anything? how to separate NeoGeo from mame?

Like i said, use the neogeo DAT from fbneo with the manual scanner. That will make a neogeo-specific playlist that you can give an icon, etc.

Sorry I did not see your comment or did not understand it. I think I am getting close i went to here… !

When I click the download button it opens this information in a web browser. like this…

What am I doing wrong? Do i need to save this information on a local notpad? i need this information for playlist buddy…right?

On the screen with the text, right-click and choose ‘save as’ and name it neogeo.dat or something like that.

With RetroArch’s built-in manual scan, you can choose your newly acquired DAT and it will give the ROMs the proper names.

HOLY S#!T !!! I am closer now then ever before, i only had an option to choose Neo Geo CD, but whatever they are separated now! Thank You Thank you Thank you!!! I have been using Playlist Buddy and this is the first time i have tried the manual scan thing built into RA and it works very well. I have a lot of thumbnails that do not line up but fortunately there isnt that many NeoGeo games and I can manually Change them. i need to figure out the bios and the the core thing next but that seems a lot more straight forward

Thank You!

1 Like
  1. Use this dat (it is newer) https://github.com/libretro/FBNeo/blob/master/dats/FinalBurn%20Neo%20(ClrMame%20Pro%20XML%2C%20Neogeo%20only).dat
  2. Select System Name - "<Custom>"
  3. Input in Custom System Name - "Neo Geo"
  4. Start Scan

I tried the new .dat file and i am starting to get the hang of this. but i dont have a neo geo option to describe the console. this is what i have

and my choices are…

Its not a big deal I can learn to live with it because i had it explained to me they are the same ROMs anyway cd vs AES.

The problem that i have run into is that some of the names of these games have a / in their name and there names seem to be dictated by the .dat file. when i change their names to match the thumbnails so the thumbnails pop up, windows will not allow me to name anything with a / in the title, windows automatically replaces the / with a _ or a space and the rom and the thumbnail do not work. do i have to change the thumbnail(s) name?

Yes, as long as the names match, it should load, so you could replace all of the /s with ~ or _ or whatever.

For the name, just rename the lpl file to SNK - Neo Geo.lpl or whatever.