SCPToolKit

Anyone have experience with this to provide feedback (yea or nay) on its ability to handle DS4 (dual shock 4) via Bluetooth on windows 7 in retroarch?

I am also concerned about malware or viruses, how legit is this software? Is there anyway to test/validate its intentions?

here is the location for this tool : https://github.com/nefarius/ScpToolkit

i did some initial testing in an isolated clean windows 7 build and it seems to work at least from the brief testing I did and interacted ok with other bluetooth (Xbox 360 wireless)

I trust it more or less completely. I used the Scarlet.Crush DS3 wrapper SCPToolkit is based on for 2-3 years with a DS3 in Win7 and upgraded to the more modern, developed SCPToolkit earlier this year. I’ve been very impressed by its functionality and polish, albeit with a DS3 over Bluetooth in Win10.

Anyway, I think most people would trust SCPToolkit these days.

SCPToolkit is very reliable for usb connections, can be hit-and-miss with bluetooth. I’ve never heard anything about it being spyware, like MotionInJoy. And since it’s on GitHub, it’s open source, yeah? Tough to hide malware in plain sight usually.

I would add for anyone coming by that I had problems with the new SCPToolkit on Win8, but while it worked I was able to make bluetooth connect (couldn’t with original Scarlet.Crush drivers).

Scarlet.Crush DS3 wrapper is compatible with Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and probably 10 (not tested yet), the problem with SCPToolkit in my tests, is that it doesnt pair non-original PS3 controllers, when I bought it, it should be original, but then Ive figured it out that it`s a fake gamepad. So I have a original and a fake gamepad and both works a treat and bluetooth pairs without any problem.

SCPToolkit also has a lot of undesired notifications that pop up in the right corner and although its probably something you can turn off, the original Scarlet Crush DS3 wrapper doesnt have unneeded notifications like these, it`s simple to install (I remember lots of yellow triangles popping up reminding me that I have bought a fake controller and just because of that it won’t work with this driver in SCP Toolkit), once the service is started in your Windows, it will always be there waiting for you to pair or just plug the USB in. It also uses less RAM to work, something like 5mb against 50mb for SCP Toolkit, not a big deal today, but still, it proves it has unnecessary resources compared to the original.

OBS.: All comparisons I made above between Scarlet Crush and SCPTookit doesn’t reflect the latest versions of the SCP Toolkit, since Scarlet’s drivers works perfectly for me, and SCP Toolkit gave me problems, I never had need to wait for the newer software to become better than the original.

It’s something I’ll have to try one day and see if it surpasses the original, if I need.

One important improvement for me was that the original Scarlet.Crush software always seemed to leave a virtual Xbox 360 controller plugged in, even when the DS3 was disconnected. SCPToolkit has an option to automatically destroy/unplug the virtual 360 controller when the DS3 disconnects.

This makes using multiple gamepads (DS and non-DS) with RA much easier because the persistent virtual 360 controller doesn’t contribute to RA’s gamepad-renumbering shenanigans.

I use the SCP toolkit (the latest beta). Hoping he continues to improve on it, it seems that there’s some really cool features he’s working on that have not yet been implemented.

As far as RetroArch’s renumbering shenanigans, we were discussing that on another thread not too long ago. It would be nice if RetroArch worked the same way it does on Android, for all platforms, where the first person to tap a button is player 1, the 2nd person to hit a button is player 2, so on and so forth.

If that were to become an option in the menu it would makes things a lot easier for people who use multiple gamepad setups. I use real N64 controllers for N64, and I like to use arcade sticks for some stuff. The way it currently works isn’t terrible, but it could be improved.

So, if it works with fake DS3 now, it means it was updated, which is a good thing.

The part that Scarlet.Crush software always seems to leave a virtual Xbox 360 controller plugged in…isn`t it good for Retroarch? It always seems to keep my original DS3 as first player and the fake one as second no matter what, this because I sync the original first, not sure if it’s the way I think it is, but I never had problems with one controller replacing the other so far. Windows seems to randomize gamepads in the order they are connected/paired, maybe keeping it connected/attached virtually is a good thing, at least it seems for me.

It’s fine until you want to start using other gamepads.

When I plug in my arcade sticks with the DS3s virtually plugged in, stick 1 is player 1, DS3#1 is player 2, DS3#2 is player 3, and stick 2 is player 4.

I still think ‘assign player on keypress’ is the way to go.

Interesting… I’ve been looking for something like this. Thanks for the link.