Sega Saturn on Android Version

Is there any chance there is gonna be any improvement on the yabause core on the android version? I would love to play some Saturn games on my Nvidia Shield Portable.

Twinaphex wants to look into it, yeah. The problems are: 1.) it’s completely software-rendered right now, so we would need to make it a libretro-gl core similar to PPSSPP-libretro and mupen64plus-libretro to get the accelerated hardware rendering that standalone has, and 2.) the existing dynarec isn’t PIC-compatible, which means it doesn’t work as a dynamic library, which all libretro cores are. Our options there are to either ship a statically-linked RetroArch+Yabause standalone binary or fix the dynarec, neither of which are fun/attractive.

This is what the developer of uoYabause said about his development for OpenGL hardware rendering on Android:

" I’ve been trying it for a few years… But I couldn’t find a way to emulate the ‘per pixel priority’ function using OpenGL ES 2.0 which is essential of the Sega Saturn GPU emulation. When I read OpenGL ES 3.0 specification, I was very excited about OpenGL ES 3.0 supports reading and writing gl_FragDepth. Soon I resumed implementation of Android version of yabause."

I’m not sure if it’s possible, but maybe you guys can come up with a way to have hardware rendering on OpenGL ES2 devices.

Yea, that sounds like a pain. Maybe Twinaphex can get more people on it to reduce the work?

[QUOTE=fivefeet8;38914]This is what the developer of uoYabause said about his development for OpenGL hardware rendering on Android:

" I’ve been trying it for a few years… But I couldn’t find a way to emulate the ‘per pixel priority’ function using OpenGL ES 2.0 which is essential of the Sega Saturn GPU emulation. When I read OpenGL ES 3.0 specification, I was very excited about OpenGL ES 3.0 supports reading and writing gl_FragDepth. Soon I resumed implementation of Android version of yabause."

I’m not sure if it’s possible, but maybe you guys can come up with a way to have hardware rendering on OpenGL ES2 devices.[/QUOTE] I remember reading about this and I’m hoping it’s possible.