Sega Saturn - Windows 10 - Super basic question

Hi guys

I’ll preface everything I’m about to say by admitting I am in no way technically minded, up until now I have simply enjoyed simple ‘plug-and-play’ experiences and the only emulator I have used to date has been Dolphin (for Gamecube/Wii).

SSF and Yabause(?) were above my limited capabilities, however I understand that it is now possible to emulate most Saturn titles through Retroarch (Beetle Core).

I have a very short list of games that I really want to play from my teenage years, including Panzer Dragoon Saga, Burning Rangers, Nights, Duke Nukem etc. but unfortunately I’m stuck right out the gate.

From the Retroarch GUI Information tab I can see that Beetle cannot find the BIN files required to load games.

I have downloaded the BIOS BINs for PAL and NTSC and I understand I have to copy these into the ‘frontend’ in order to proceed - embarrassingly, this is where I’m stuck!

What folder should I copy these into on the Windows 10 heirarchy?

After this has been completed, what else do I need to do to start playing?

I have been through the forum a few times but I think my question is so basic that no-one has asked it before .

Apologies if I have missed a similar post.

BIOS images go into your ‘system’ directory. That should be all you need, I think.

1 Like

You can place the bios files anywhere accessible by Retroarch on your Windows 10 system and then configure the system directory in Retroarch to point to it. But putting them in the Retroarch system subdirectory would also work. Make sure to name the bios files exactly to what the core is looking for though. You can find what bios file names the core will be expecting by looking at the core information page once you’ve loaded the core.

For the games you’ve listed though, the Yaba Sanshiro standalone emulator also plays them rather well. There are windows versions of the emulator on the main site(uoyabause).

1 Like

Thanks guys.

Thanks guys, i’s always easy when you know how!

Now upon trying to load Disc 1 of 4 of PDS, I am receiving an error: “Uncorrectable (sic) data at sector 0”.

The console just loads to the start screen.

This could well be a bad file, I’m not sure how to check what might be at fault. Any ideas?

That indicates a bad image file. You should re-image it from a better source.

1 Like

Tried another image and problem solved!

That’s me got all the games I’m after for the Saturn.

They do seem to be running slower than I remember, I’ll keep going through the forum to see what I can try.