Separating C-buttons from A and B

Hey guys, I wasn’t sure which section to post this in, sorry if its in the wrong place!

I’ve had a quick google, and searched on this forum and can’t find an answer.

I’ve wired up an original N64 controller to my machine running RetroArch, and want to play N64 games with original key mappings, in Mupen64plus and RetroArch the C keys and A+B are joined and toggled.

Is there a way to map these to separate keys instead of having a toggle key?

Thanks in advance!

If I understand your question correctly, just map the virtual ‘retropad’ buttons to whatever you want on the physical controller (I think something like retropad-Y to n64-B, retropad-B to n64-A, retropad-X to n64-C-left, retropad-A to n64-C-down, retropad-L3 to n64-C-up, retropad-R3 to n64-C-right, retropad-L1 to n64-L-trigger, retropad-R1 to n64-R-trigger, retropad-L2 to n64-Z-trigger)* and then use the core input remapping feature (load the core, load some content, go back into the quickmenu and choose ‘core input remapping’) to re-assign the core’s buttons on the virtual pad to match your retropad assignments.

This will get around the default mapping, which is designed for a ps3/360 pad instead of a real n64 pad.

*Notice: I left retropad-R2 unassigned because it’s hardcoded to do a weird button-shuffling thing with the c-buttons that was required to get it working with our overlay system.

Under Core remapping settings, I have options for Input A (C-right) and Input B (C-left) so the mappings are still with the toggle…