Set "Estimated" refresh rate automatically?

In the “Output” options there are 3 different settings regarding the refresh rate.

1st one is the current refresh rate you have set.

2nd is the real estimate.

3rd is the one the monitor/TV reports.

The problem is that there is no option to set the estimated refresh rate as the one you want to use automatically.

I use two screens, a high speed monitor and a regular TV. But each time i switch, i am forced to change the refresh rate manually to the estimated for each screen, otherwise i’m getting stutters and frame pacing issues.

The high speed monitor is 239,something hz and the TV is 59.999. Every time i switch, i have to set those estimates manually. Why not just use them automatically and be done with? Or at least an option to be able to do so?

Sometimes the estimated is wildly off, so it’s not something we can trust consistently, just like we can’t trust monitor-reported rates consistently.

If you know what it is supposed to be, you could make some launcher scripts that append the proper refresh rate to the config depending on which one you run.

this aounds complicated… not sure how i could do that.

Just open Notepad and put into it:

retroarch --menu --verbose --appendconfig=monitor.cfg

Save as monitor.bat and close. Then, reopen Notepad and put into it:

video_refresh_rate = "[whatever.works]"

Save as monitor.cfg and close. Now when you double-click monitor.bat, it should launch RetroArch with the monitor’s ideal video refresh rate.

2 Likes