Setting dual monitor game machine, 1 CRT and 1 LCD - how to

Hopefully, it will be merged for tonight.

The PR has been merged, so this will be fixed in the next nightly. Let me know how multi monitor goes. I may still need to work at this.

2 Likes

Sure, it will be a pleasure to help you.

@Alphanu i just update retroarch trough its testing repo but the problem persist, it closes.

Maybe not yet merged?

When I fix the bug. I tested using the cores you mentioned. I did get the same error. This was fixed. In the PR which was merged.

Do you mind checking some other cores and games ECT?

Also what distro are you on?

Have you check xrandr to make sure you don’t have any residuary CRT resllutiins?

Hi all,

I was actually bugging Alphanu in a private message when I realised I had the same error message.

Error of failed request: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) Major opcode of failed request: 140 (RANDR) Minor opcode of failed request: 19 (RRDeleteOutputMode) Serial number of failed request: 67 Current serial number in output stream: 69

I will follow up in here to maybe help as well though i am not that litterate in Linux…

Hi @Miaou @Nikoh77 this is probably related to the change in auto detecting outputs. I will have to have a look at detecting this in manual mode.

In my change log notes I stated that auto switching has been moved to monitor index 20. please turn off CRTSwitchRes. change the output to monitor index 20 then turn it back on.

This currently does cause an issue if you are trying to locate which out put to use for manual/ dual monitor setups. I will work on a work around for this, please be patient.

In the mean time can you switch to monitor index 20 and confirm this is working for you?

Hi,

So I tested this on my latptop that has a vga output (the other computer has a power supply issue so i will need to replace it before testing)

Its a sony VAIO laptop with an ATI card (need to check which one)

So i switched to output port 20 and re enabled crt switchres.

For some reason the 15khz CRT screen is only displaying part of the picture (as if the CRT screen resolution switched to low and 15khz as it is stable but the game itself remained within the laptop lcd resolution)

When i try to change from dynamic to native etc RA crashes and i get the below error msg:

Error of failed request: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) Major opcode of failed request: 140 (RANDR) Minor opcode of failed request: 17 (RRDestroymode) Serial number of failed request: 65 Current serial number in output stream: 66

xrandr is clean, distro is regular xubuntu 20.04 and yes, i tryed with several cores and games.

That error. Does not have to do with the crash. RRDelMode only runs when RA exits.

When you have that change reolution issue. Exit to save the setting then reload. So if it helps.

Did you try disable CRT mode and changing to index 20?

Yes.

Hold on I am trying from scratch.

Will report in 5 minutes

If you want i can provide you remote access to the computer and i can also film the reaction on the screen.

@Miaou @Nikoh77 I will be spending a few hours looking into this this evening.

The problem I have is that I am not getting this error.

Can you compile from my github? Need to make sure there isn’t another reason for it.

Don’t know how to compile :frowning: sorry for that

So to summarize i completely deleted my config file to avoid any conflict.

The laptop has the main desktop on the lcd screen and the extended part is on the crt.

I did first set the output to 20 then exit save configuration.

Then switched on crtswitchres which resulted in only part of the screen being displayed on the crt.

I almost blindly navigate to exit.

Launch RA again screen is only partialy displayed on the crt try to launch a game, RA crashes and I get the error msg I pasted earlier.

Interestingly enough when i try to switch between full screen and window RA will crash with the error msg.

Ok so this is a duel monitor setup. I will need to get my setup.working this work to investigate.

I am not getting this issue on a single monitor setup.

When RA crashes there will be resolutions i stalled that aren’t removed this can cause issues.

This also happens when i set the laptop to only output to one screen.

Another thing i just realized is that aftr the crash the crt becomes the main desktop and the lcd becomes the extended part (they basicaly invert roles)

When i go to the display section of the OS (Kubuntu by the way) i cannot change anything which forces me to exit / re enter the session to reset the graphic display.

A post was split to a new topic: RetroArch to CRT via 480i adapter best settings

@Alphanu a multi monitor environment can’t work under Xorg, no way: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GNOME-Multi-Monitor-Vary-Hz

Only way is KMS without Desktop environment or Wayland i think, but xrandr won’t work on Wayland, so how to set and switch to custom resolutions on the fly?

or maybe this thing is common because wayland takes the data (modelines data) from kms (sorry if I use inaccurate terms) then when you make CRTSwitchres working on KMS at the same time it can work under wayland, could it be so?

update: it seems is possible to have more monitors with different v-refresh rate but with glxgears I was unable to query the secondary monitor refresh.

There seems to be no tool to get the refresh rate of an additional monitor on linux/xorg