Setting Up RA

Hey guys,

I’m using RA (Android) again after a few years and the latest version is a bit different to how i remember. I was able to get around the older releases but this new update has me a little bamboozled.

I have searched for an initial setup post on the wiki/FAQ/Forum but cant seem to find anything. Have I missed this?

What needs to be updated on first use?

How to setup the new gui frontend? I’m using a note 4 and cant find the option to enable the new gui/xmb shown in the videos.

Also the menu is very laggy, takes 4-5 taps to register to enter a menu option. I’ve had the the menu go completely blank a few times, with no way to exit apart from force closing (see attachment)

Any help for an initial setup would be awesome and much appreciated. Looking forward to using the latest version :slight_smile:

Cheers

Now have the XMB ui working but the text scaling is a little small, making it difficult to read.

Also the overlay only shows intermittently, have to shut RA down to try to make it appear. Also experiencing hangs in Android after exiting RA with the home button

EDIT: Sometimes the text scaling works correctly with the overlay, sometimes scaling is too small with/without the overlay. It seems a bit temperamental

Let me know if I can provide more info

The overlays are supposed to hide themselves when you’re in a menu if you have touch navigation enabled. They don’t always play nicely, though.

XMB’s text size is stuck, so it’s probably not a good option for you if it’s too small. Personally, I use RGUI but GLUI is nice insofar as you can set the DPI override to whatever you want.

If you actually want to quit RetroArch, you should probably use the ‘quit RetroArch’ option from the menu rather than leaving with the home button and killing it elsewhere. In addition to keeping it from running in the background and killing your battery, it will make sure that your SRAM is getting appropriately written to file.

Hey,

I’ve found that the first time i start up RA, the overlay doesnt show. If I hit home, then re-open RA, the overlay shows fine.

Glad to see RGUI is still in there, thats what I’m used to using :slight_smile:

I have found an issue where all menu options disappear when in the download updates section and trying to go back to main menu - see attached for examples. I cant do anything when this happens, not even close RA gracefully. Have to force close.

The buildbot was down, but yeah the core downloader doesn’t like to be rushed

Download the last git version here, it should be better, there was a bug causing the text font to be too small. Or wait to the next version (1.2.3).

Also, you need to launch retroarch with your smartphone in the portrait/horizontal position, otherwise it’ll have very small text font, like this.

You need to enable overlays in the menu in the Settings --> Onscreen Overlay --> Hide Overlay In Menu = OFF