Shield TV : Beetle PSX HW crashes when loading a CHD file

Hello,

I’m using a Shield TV Pro updated to 6.3.0 and RetroArch 1.7.1 from the playstore.

I’m having a crashing issue with Beetle PSX / Beetle PSX HW everytime i’m trying to load a CHD compressed game.

Regular bin/cue or even PSN PSOne Classics encrypted .pbp files will work just fine.

The very same CHD files will work without any problem using the Windows release.

Any idea if something is curently broken with the android build or maybe something wrong with my setup ?

Thanks.

Can you get a log of the failure? That should hopefully tell us more about what’s going on.

Are you getting full speed with that core? I get close to full speed with the aarch64 build, but still not quite there.

Hello,

Where can i get the crash log from ? (my device isn’t rooted in case that is needed).

As for getting full speed, not really. Some games have minor slowdowns here and there, some others have major frame drops. I’ll check my games on both the current Play Store release and an aarch64 build and will report my results.

As for using a nightly aarch64 build, will it allow me to get the latest corresponding cores via the online updater or is it required to have root access to manually drop the cores downloaded from the buildbot ?

Thanks

You can get the latest cores, but you have to wipe out your entire previous installation (the buildbot address for the correct cores is stored in the config file).

You don’t need root to get a log, just any ol’ free logcat program, or adb logcat from a connected computer using USB/wifi debugging.

I use matlog on my phone but you will need to connect the Shield to a pc to enable the permissions needed for logging

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m new with this so sorry if i don’t get everything right at first try.

I enabled dev options on my shield TV and then grabbed "Minimal ADB and Fastboot Tool"from here :

I managed to connect via wifi using “adb connect 192.168.0.XX:5555”.

Then using “adb logcat” i do see the activity report on my cmd window.

So how do i properly export it to a file, any specific command ?

Thanks.

You can try redirecting the output to a file by doing it like this:

adb logcat > log.txt

Ok that worked (just had to run as administrator).

The log file is quite big (about 642k), do you need all of it or just some copied/pasted portion ?

Thanks.

basically just the parts that include the word “RetroArch”

Ok i simply cleared the buffers and then started logging just before running RetroArch:

https://pastebin.com/7eLcFy7t

Please note that i’m now using a nightly aarch64 build as suggested.

The crash is still there but this kind of build does indeed performs better than the regular one i was previoulsy using.

Still not full speed for every games, fixes some and still have major frames drop for other, i’ll report that in another dedicated thread.

Thanks

This seems to be the important bit:

03-17 03:43:17.449  5193  5218 I RetroArch: Unknown CUE sheet directive "MCOMPRHD".
03-17 03:43:17.449  5193  5218 I RetroArch:
03-17 03:43:17.511  5193  5238 I RetroArch: TOC first(99)/last(98) track numbers bad.
03-17 03:43:17.519  5193  5218 E libc++abi: terminating with uncaught exception of type MDFN_Error

I’m not even sure if the CHD stuff works in Android. I’ll try to investigate.

Yes this part seems to be common with all the CHD compressed games i tried to load and then crashed.

Please also note that even if different core/system, my PC-FX CHD compressed games work just fine on my Shield using Beetle PC-FX.

Same applies for my PCE/TG16 CHD compressed games using Beetle PCE FAST or Beetle SGX.

Thanks

2 Likes

Hello,

Has some investigation been done since March to fix the problem ? I’ve updated to 1.7.3 and CHDs are still broken.

Thank you.