Shield TV - Mame 0.198 core - no 'TAB' menu appearing? [SOLVED-kinda]

Along with some odd mapping problems with movement, i’m also unable to pull up the MAME GUI in game menu using TAB in the latest MAME core 0.198. Works fine on the PC using same core build.

I’ve tried with two different keyboards now.

Could someone with a Shield TV try hooking up a keyboard and try getting into the in-game MAME GUI? Would be good to confirm this is not just me before opening an issue on GITHUB.

thanks!

EDIT: Ok… after seeing some shortcuts posted elsewhere, i decided to try some and found that, under Android Oreo on my Shield TV, the ‘SELECT-Y’ joypad combo brings up the MAME GUI when in game. I think it’s ‘SELECT-Y’ anyways. I’m not at my machine at the moment. Try anyways, and i can certainly say it’s def not ‘SELECT-X’. That will just quit Retroarch. Try and you’ll find it… Maybe i missed something and ‘TAB’ for Android is a no no and you need to use these joypad/keycombo shortcuts now, so…

Anyways, this also then allows me to map my X-Arcade joystick controls properly in the MAME GUI. Doing this in Retroarch itself doesn’t work for the latest MAME 0.198 build. It seems that everything maps correctly apart from keyboard mapping for movement. Up/down/left/right seem to default to arrow keys regardless of what you set them in Retroarch i.e. for the X-Arcade it outputs numpad 8/4/6/2 for the x/y axis.

Hope it helps someone out there. Thanks anyways to all contributing to this project. 'Tis appreciated…

1 Like

Man, you just saved my life. :smiley:

I was trying to use mame to run game.com, I used mess2014 but it was buggy, and with the new mame I couldn’t remap the keys, therefore couldn’t start the game. Your tip saved me. Thanks!

Now I can play game.com flawlessly. (Not a good thing, btw :smiley: )