Simple 2X on Vita?

On every device I have with shader support I set a 2X nearest shader. It’s sharper than straight bilinear without the shimmering. Is there anything I can do to get a similar effect on my Vita? Is there an old fashioned video filter that can accomplish this?

In the video options, if you enable “Integer Scale”, disable “Bilinear Filtering”, and set aspect ratio to “1:1 PAR”, your game images will always be exactly the largest size they can be which maintaining pixel-perfect pixel mapping.

I know of integer scale, but it’s not what I’m looking for. This isn’t about perfect mapping. I am looking to fill the screen vertically but have a less blurry image. Here, I’ve whipped up some example images here.

We have some shaders that do that but I don’t think any of them have been ported to Vita’s Cg format yet. One of them, sharp-bilinear, should be quite easy to convert, though. I’ll see if @frangarcj is interested in taking a stab at it.

Use Pixellate.cg then. It’s in the “retro” folder.

Edit: Oops! I didn’t realize Vita’s cg was a different format. And anyway, hunterk told me on IRC that “aann.cg” is like “pixellate.cg” but blends in linear color space instead of gamma color space, so it doesn’t artificially darken some pixels. It looks great, and is probably the one you’d want, as it’s effectively the “sharpest” bilinear-like upscale possible.

Edit 2: Never mind. “aann.cg” is currently not the correct “sharpest”, as it sometimes exhibits more than 1 pixel line of blending. “Pixellate.cg” is sharper, as it never exhibits more than 1 pixel line of blending.

Thank you all so much for helping. Here’s how I normally achieve what I’m looking for on my Shield TV:

I’m running 1.4.0 on my Vita and I can’t find any sort of shader option. Is there a different release I should be using? Were the options moved?

I just made a topic about this about an hour ago and have been doing some more research…seems like shaders might have worked at one time, but in 1.40 they don’t, sadly. That’s a HUGE bummer…makes me want to not even bother messing with this Vita anymore since shaders are so important for the retro feel for me personally (which is why I keep my 32" CRT TV for my old gaming consoles - and light gun games of course :wink:

Is there a way to do this yet? It is by far my favourite method for getting games looking good.