Slowdown in SuperFX Games (SNES)

I’m using the BSNES Mercury Core (performance) on an Nvidia Shield Android TV Pro. Regular SNES Games run locked at 60 FPS, but games with the SuperFX chip (Yoshi’s Island, Star Fox) will experience occasional slowdown and audio stuttering. Yoshi’s Island, for example, mostly runs great, but when there’s sprite scaling or randomly in levels the FPS can drop to 40. I have tried over clocking the core, enabling Threaded Video, and enabling Hard GPU Sync.

May I ask why you use that when Bsnes performance and Snes9x run that far faster? Bsnes Mercury doesn’t sound like it’s really made for speed on Android devices.

Mercury is just like bsnes mainline except it has some optimizations that make it a little bit faster than mainline (as well as the ability to use HLE for the special chips, which can greatly improve performance on certain games, such as mega man x 2/3). It has a performance core and everything.

I would recommend switching to snes9x for the superfx games.

That was going to be my next course of action. I haven’t really messed with the SNES9X core much, is there a reason not to use it for everything?

There are a few (shitty) games that don’t work correctly with it. Speedy Gonzales, F1 ROC II, Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shogi 1 and 2. If you’re playing only good/popular games, bsnes and snes9x are indistinguishable.

That’s good enough, I’ll likely use SNES9X for SuperFX only. Will the save states be compatible or do I have to start my game over?

Savestates are not compatible across emulators, no.

Well SMW2 runs perfectly in SNES9X and I was able to load the built in save game. Thanks for the help.