SNES ROM "Paused" when started

Hello everyone, new to the forums and RetroArch, as I stated in the title, one of my SNES Roms isn’t loading. When it’s started, it just says “Paused” in the bottom left corner. I’ve researched this problem and saw people had the same issues with different Roms such as SNES, N64, etc. I tested the game with multiple cores but I’m getting the same result. I have 4 SNES Roms total and the other 3 work fine, so could it be the game cartridge itself is broken?

For what it’s worth, all of my Roms are .sfc files and I copied them from cartridges I own using the Retrode 2.

Thank you to anyone that can help!

Can you state the game and provide a checksum (CRC or MD5 is fine)? I’ll compare it with known-good dumps.

Thank you for the reply, the game is Toy Story :rofl: and I’m not sure how to provide a checksum. Sorry, I’m pretty new at this stuff.

EDIT: I just tried loading the ROM with SNES9X outside of RetroArch and it did say “(bad checksum)”, not quite sure what that means but it could explain it.

Lakka has some docs on checksum verification: http://www.lakka.tv/doc/Verifying-MD5-Checksums/

It sounds like you need a fresh new “No-Intro” ROM set for SNES. Those are the search terms to try :upside_down_face:

I did some more research and came across a program called NSRT and it did say it was a bad rom. It also gave me both CRC and MD5 Checksums.

Internal ROM Info File ToyStory.944C.sfc Name TOY STORY Company Disney Interactive Header None Bank HiROM Interleaved None SRAM 0 Kb Type Normal ROM 32 Mb Country USA Video NTSC ROM Speed 120ns (FastROM) Revision 1.0 Checksum Bad 0x9F7B != 0x6BB3 Game Code AQHE Hashes CRC32 1727E92C MD5 80DAA98674E9BAFA97D1426EFB1DA569 Database Error ROM wasn’t found in the database (possible bad dump).

Since I dumped this Rom myself, should I try and dump it again? I did buy this from GameStop so maybe they sold me a bad cartridge.

EDIT: I got it working, I ran it from the cartridge using the Retrode 2 with SNES9X outside of RetroArch and it worked, so I dumped the rom again and was able to load it with the RetroArch core.

Thank you for the help and replies!

2 Likes

Hey guys, sorry to double post. I know that’s frowned upon on most forums, not sure if it is here or not but I didn’t want to make a new topic on a similar problem.

As I said, I seemed to have fixed the issue with a new rom dump but now there is a new problem. When I load these SNES Roms in RetroArch, it still starts off as paused. I discovered that a left click will resume the game, but is there a way I can avoid doing this altogether? I play on my TV and use a gamepad, if I need to click every time I want to play a game then that’s what I’ll have to do but is there any way I can bypass that completely and just use the gamepad?

If it’s saying “paused” in the corner, and resumes with a left-click, that makes me think that when you are loading the game that the window is losing focus.

That is to say, when you start the game RetroArch loads and for w/e reason another window or the desktop becomes ‘active’ instead of RetroArch.

You could try launching in a window and see what other program is taking the focus when you launch the game. Or, you could turn off ‘windowed fullscreen’ in the video settings and you may have better luck that way if you can’t find the culprit (If that’s already off, try it on, see what happens)

Thank you for the response, I ended up figuring out the issue awhile ago and you’re right. I can’t think of the setting right now, but it did have something to do with the window in focus, I turned something off and it worked perfectly.

1 Like